MSC Divina Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Contributor Level: Third Mate

MSC Divina

Sail Date: November 29, 2014

MSC touts this ship as their "American" ship.  I have to say that while the ship is beautiful and I had a very good time onboard, They have not yet hit the mark on "American."  The ship itself probably deserves a four star rating but I feel I have to score them down a notch for missing the mark on their claimed target.  The staterooms are very nice and the balconies large enough to actually enjoy.  The entertainment was first class and the kids club got two thumbs up from my 5 year old.  The food was quite good in the dining rooms but the buffet was actually quite excellent.  So you may ask how they missed the mark?  This story probably best exemplifies the statement:  The daily program listed the NFL game would be on in the Sports Bar at 1:00pm.  My family was taking a nap on this sea day so I figured I would have a beer and watch some football.  I arrived at the bar at about 12:45 and there was soccer all on the TV's.  OK, I'm still early so I sit down for a beer.  1:00pm comes and goes without a change on the TV's.  A crowd is bveginning to filter in looking for the NFL.  We all start making comments about "where is the NFL game as advertised?"  Finally, the barman makes a call.  Having worked on ships, I know it is not always as easy as changing the channel so I am a bit more patient.  But the rest are getting a bit upset.  By 1:30pm, the game was still not on.  In the mean time, a gentleman has come up to the bar and asked for a Budweiser.  The barman responds "We are out of that."  Now I know the ship is not out, they have just not restocked this bar at that time.  But seriously, a Sunday during football season and you are not running the game you promised and did not restock the bar with Budweiser.  A little tough to say you cater to Americans.  The ship was still a beautiful experience and frankly, it did not matter to me.  But I feel it is only fair to set the correct expectations.  This is still a more European ship that is working on being more American.  All in all, we had a great time and I cannot fault MSC on the ship or its value.

We were in the smaller Balcony rooms. Nice but a touch cramped inside. I would recommend the larger Balcony room if you can.