Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Nice ports - outdated ship

Sail Date: February 16, 2009

Traveled As: Family w/young children

The ship is almost 20 years old. It was kept up well, but there are two little pools and two spas for 3,500 people. It was cold the whole time we were on the cruise and could not get into a spa because they were packed with little kids. It's nice having the ships with an adult pool and a few spas scattered around so you can get a chance to get in one. The food was not very good. It's nice to go on cruises because the food is generally top notch but this one was not so good. I think I got one really good meal the entire time. We got a decent price but I think I would have rather paid more and gotten on a newer ship. Sidenote, we contacted a couple times to make some changes and they were very friendly and helpful. I would most definitely book a vacation thought them again.

Pros: The ports were beautiful and the music on the ship was fabulous

Cons: Don't take an old ship unless you get a great bargain

Recommends Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED)? No.

The music was really good. I think it's the best live music I've heard on a cruise.
There was not enough outdoor space for the number of people it held. Plenty of bars... just not enough pool/spa/outdoor space.
The food was average. Go to Denny's and have a meal... it's about the same.
The stateroom was kept up very well. The rooms on Royal Caribbean are much smaller then they are on Carnival.
The staff was very friendly. I don't recall running into anyone I had a problem with.
It seemed pretty safe. We walked around pretty late at night and went drinking. None of us felt uneasy. It was clean also. I can't comment on the beaches because we did not make it to one.
Cococay (Cruiseline's Private Island)
It was really pretty. We just laid on the beach and relaxed.