Somewhat Disappointed

Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

7 Night Western Caribbean (Galveston Roundtrip)
Sail Date: February 03, 2013
Ship: Mariner of the Seas
I had heard so many great things about RCCL that I was somewhat disappointed in this cruise (our 8th one, but first on RCCL). First of all, when we went to our cabin after our lunch on Sunday, it was already occupied! (No people, but personal belongings scattered around.) Upon going to guest services, no one knew what was going on and we were told to come back after the lifeboat drill. We did, only to be told to come back after dinner and it would be resolved! Our cabin attendant, Helen, was the most helpful. She said the couple in our room was booked for 3 weeks end to end and had another week to go. No one had informed them that they would have to relocate for this cruise! We finally got into our room at 7:30, having missed the evening show and lugging our 2 bags around.
That's the last time I'll book a cruise 4 days before sailing! No one even apologized for our inconvenience. (But I'm thankful we were not on Carnival).
When we last cruised in Nov. 2009 on Norweigen we had a much better over-all experience. Maybe it's due to the tight ecomony, but RCCL seemed to nickel and dime us to death! Many of the staff were hard to understand, and while the entertainment was good there was not enough of it for 7 days.

The "Sound of Music" and Rapsody in Blue dining rooms were excellent, but the quality of the buffets weren't so great.

Would have loved planned bridge sessions.Not enough seating along the Promanade. Felt pressured to buy products at the Spa, but the massage was wonderful! Could have use some lessons in playing "Electronic" Texas Hold'um" before losing $100 in the Tournament. Would have liked some tables using cards!

Hard to attend some of the activities when lunch and dinner took 2 hours.

Did not use, but seemed adequete.

Some of the staff's English was poor, made communication difficult. Captain should have worn gloves and shook hands at his reception!

Showing it's age.

We had only inches to walk around out bed. Next time we'll spring for a balcony room.

Book a cabin mid-ship and save some long walks! I though I wanted to sail on the Oaisis, but I guess I'm just too old, (That ship's sailed).

Except for the porters - deposited our bags at the nearest curb and told us to wait here for a shuttle to Parking Lot. Wrong!.After 45 min. asked a policeman who directed us farther down.
Too long a walk from the ship for old lady with a cane!
Highly recommend Swimming with Sting Rays.
I loved Montego Bay. Falmouth can't compare.