Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Great Family Spring Break Cruise

Sail Date: March 11, 2012

The Mariner of the Seas was great in all aspects. This was my second time on a Voyager class ship, and I knew what to expect. However, it was the first time for my kids: 6-year-old boy and 8-year-old girl. We decided on the Mariner out of Galveston for a spring break cruise. The kids really enjoyed the Adventure Ocean activities, and surprisingly, they also loved the Main Dining Room. The crew on a whole was very friendly and accommodating.

Pros: Mariner had balance of kids/family and adult activities

Cons: Salt water swimming pools: kids don't find them refreshing!

Recommends Mariner of the Seas? Yes!

The shows were somewhat limited and were not intended for kids. I would have expected more kid-friendly shows on a Spring Break cruise. We only attended a couple of the shows. However: the Ice Show was AWESOME. It was definitely worth attending. Other activity options were great: inline skating, ping pong, rock climbing, and golf. The kids just wished the pools were a little warmer and not salt water!
This was our first time in an aft stateroom (1392). The space on the balcony was incredible: big enough for 2 chaise lounge chairs, 2 normal chairs, and a table. I would definitely recommend a Deck 10 aft. Deck 9 and 8 were too exposed (i.e. rain). There isn't much of a breeze on the back.
Our cabin steward and dining room waiters were excellent. They remembered our names, and they always greeted us frequently.
The Adventure Ocean staff was very engaging and were available as soon as we walked onto the ship. They had good activities, and the kids really enjoyed the counselors. They wished they had spent more time in it!
The artwork and structures around the ship looked good. They were painting the varnish on the wood railings throughout the week. The ship was very clean with good sanitation.
Main Dining Room food was great on all nights. My kids loved ordering from the adult menu, and most nights, we had 2-3 appetizers because the variety was great. We really enjoyed the cold soups. The lamb shank was one of the best I have had. We wished we had chosen a later dining time: 5:30 is just really early since there is so much to do. The Windjammer was open whenever we needed it, and it always had a great variety. The kids loved room service breakfast on the balcony! We did not go to Portofino's or Chops: the MDR was too good to pass up!