Mardi Gras is great! But. . .

Mardi Gras Cruise Review

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Mardi Gras

7 Night Western Caribbean (Port Canaveral Roundtrip)

Sail date: October 30, 2021

Ship: Mardi Gras

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 12274

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

I liked the mardi gras ship but There's some things that doesn't seem to work with a ship this size. Alot has been compressed to accommodate for the "extras "....Cabins, elevators, some restaurants, Theater etc has been compromised in size. We sailed at 60% and still had a hard time with elevators. The solution was to walk to the forward elevators or take the stairs. On the plus side, the greatness of Central station, the food venues are plentiful, the amazing Serenity Deck, added nonsmoking casino all kind of makes up for it....sorta.

Embarkation

This port was fast moving. Verification process was fast and pretty much flawless

Ship experiences

JavaBlue Cafe

This place has great sweets and coffee! Little bistro tables...great service.. you can also sit here and watch the entertainment at central station

Grand View Bar

My favorite spot. It's wide open and comfortable like the theater used to be. The view the screens and the bar are all perfect attributes. Also there's the coffee bar directly behind it.

Emeril’s Bistro 1396

So I fully expected the shrimp po boy to be trash! It was small and only had about 6 shrimp on it but the flavor of the sauce and seasoned battered shrimp fresh French bread! Omg...also the boudin balls were hot and soooo delicious

Fortune Teller Bar

I loved this place. Being from New Orleans that whole area felt like home! The drinks are fun too!

Guy's Pig & Anchor Smokehouse / Brewhouse

Brisket great! You can taste all that smokiness and tender!! Chicken is tender, delicious and seasoned. Wasn't feeling the bbq beans but the potato salad wasn't cookout great but it was ok for a cruise ship. I loved the choices of sauces. Portions are smaller, if you're a big eater don't be afraid to ask them to add more!

Fahrenheit 555 Steakhouse

I hate to say but of all 9 of my cruises this was the WORST Steakhouse experience. First it was our anniversary dinner. When we got to the restaurant they said they had no reservations for us even though it was on the hub and email confirmation. They seated us almost on top another couple even though we were told we would have a private table. Then the food came. Let's just say the parts of the steak that wasn't tough, was bloody. The best part of the Steakhouse was we were out of there in 35 min.

Chibang!

The food was phenomenal. Fundido was good.. The shrimp had a kick to them.. drinks were decent. Service always great

Big Chicken by Shaq

Very good chicken sandwich. I had the uncle (something) sandwich which was basically a Nashville Hot chicken sandwich. It was very good. Not greasy! surprising .. fries were seasoned but thin flat and slightly crisp... good!! but the breakfast chicken biscuit sandwich.... I ate it with regret. 🤦🏽‍♀️ dry biscuit bland taste

Serenity Adult-Only area

This is the absolute best Serenity Deck EVER. I posted a YouTube video (mardi gras Serenity) it's perfecto

Mardi Gras Theater

Not a fan. This new theater has transformed into a huge movie theater type of place. No way to have a little space from others, basically people on top of people. Didn't get to stay for many shows because of mask noncompliance. Central station is more open and ventilated. Seats were comfortable, stage large, accommodating, but just too congested.

Wayan (cabin stew) Wayan (flamingo dining room) These guys went far and beyond to make us happy! They were great!

Our cabin stew Wayan was very sweet and accomodating! BUT the cabin was very small ESPECIALLY the bathroom. The balcony felt typical in size, the bed was very comfortable, but it was noticeably small. Getting out of the shower bumping my elbows several times-- The storage bin, vanity lighted mirror and night light are great touches.

Ship tip

Pace yourself... so many places to eat so much to see. We planned out each day and kept a little backpack to keep what we needed to prevent from going back to the room. GET YETI CUPS

Ports of call

Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

Beautiful port....commercialized. loved the chair lifts! Rented a cabana at the beach right outside the ship.. it was PERFECT ...Josh did not disappoint

Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico

I didn't enjoy this port. The walk was long to the port but beyond the resort type of place outside the ship, there's not much more but shopping. We took a cab to Krazy lobster... it was ok. Nothing to write home about.

Port Canaveral, Florida

Disembarkation

We walked to the 3rd floor and off the ship in 30 min

Traveler Photos

Lido: kiss on the lips and strawberry daiquiri Lido domino's Central station from 3rd floor Fortunate Teller Bar