Canada Cruise

Maasdam Cruise Review to Canada, New England, New York

Maasdam
7 Night Canada & New England Discovery (Boston To Montreal)
Sail Date: August 26, 2017
Ship: Maasdam
Cabin Type: Suite
I travelled with a group of 14 friends. If I had been on my own, I think I would have had a hard time filling the days with activities. The food was good, and the crew was excellent. My main complaint concerned the condition of the ship - very worn.
Very smooth

Food was generally very good. The Lido breakfast was quite varied and tasty. The salad station at lunch time was really good - many healthy choices. Dinner in the dining room was also good. Unfortunately the halibut served in the Pinnacle Grill was almost inedible. It was dry and flavorless and a disappointment to the five of us who ordered it. We were a group of 14 and also dined in the Canneletto Restaurant. The service was good, but the food was generally just okay.

There was little to do during the day other than attend talks that promoted products or services.

The two shows featuring song and dance were very good.

Everyone was really friendly and professional - a pleasure.

The ship is tired. The seating in the Showcase Theater is poor - it's almost impossible to see the stage from many of the seats.

The cabin was okay but not up to what I expected. The moldings and trim were chipped and rusted. From what I gathered from the website a Vista Suite was one step below the top cabins. It was small compared to cabins I've had on other cruise lines. My steward, Victor, was excellent and on top of everything.

Use the dining room and skip the specialty restaurants.

Boston, Massachusetts Did not visit port

This was where we embarked on the ship.
It is very pretty and offers a lot of small quaint shops and restaurants. We took the sailing schooner excursion - very nice and peaceful.
We really didn't tour the port by foot. We did a bus excursion including a tour of Halifax and a visit to Peggy's Cove. The tour guide was rather dull. Peggy's Cove is a pretty village - not much to do there.
There was nothing of interest for us. Did not do an excursion.
Charlottetown is a pretty town. We also visited Green Gables which was okay. We made a stop at a preserve shop and garden. That was the best part of the tour - the jams are absolutely delicious. There is a garden which we didn't have enough time to explore. The owner of the shop and garden was extremely friendly. There is a Respite Cottage in the gardens and it is available to anyone suffering from a serious illness to use for a week - very generous.
Another pretty city. We did a bus tour (driver was excellent).
Disembarked in Montreal. Since our rooms weren't ready, Holland America arranged for a three hour bus tour of Montreal for $45. The tour covered most of the city and all the highlights. A good deal!
Fine. It went smoothly - the only wait was for the bus to transfer us to the hotel.