Maasdam Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

A terrific and relaxing cruise

Sail Date: November 30, 2006

Although an older ship ( the Maasdam was commissioned in 1992) it was by far the best maintained and cleanest ship I've ever cruised on. The staff went out of their way to provide more than expected excellent service. Example: One lady friend cruising with me lost the back of her earring in the dining room. We looked for 10 minutes to find the earring on the floor and were unsuccessful. As soon as we left, our waiter looked all over the floor and found it within minutes and personally brought it to my friend. Another example: Our head waiter continually offered other dinnner selections whenever he sensed even the slightest guest reservation about anything served. One of my friends had a very healthy "cruise appetite" and was offered a range of entrees to satisfy his palate.I could cite other similar examples of the outstanding service and friendly attitude of all the staff, but the dining experiences were typical of the outstanding service I found in all aspects of this cruise.

The evening entertainment provided was excellent. The professional cast for the theatrical productions wwas well trained and served up very entertaining, lively dance and musical numbers. Their routines were complemented on other cruise nights with diverse presentations--a comedian/juggler, a magician/commedian, a professional pianist of outstanding range and expertise. Each show hit the mark to provide a nice finish for a great day of cruise experience.

I've cruised with serveral other lines and on ships both small and large. The Massdam seems just "right sized"--with about 1,200 passengers it has the facilities and amenities of a mega ship. I particularly enjoyed the fitness center with its friendly, staff. With clever scheduling and crowd control one never senses that the "large herd" feeling that occurs on the very large ships. With the staff's personalized service, I felt the staff was looking after just me.

I'd most definitely cruise again on the Maasdam and/or with Holland. It was a wonderful cruise experience.

Pros: The days

Cons: Very short vist to Puerto Rico, arrived 7am and had to be back on board by 12:30

Recommends Maasdam? Yes!

The cruise literature indicated social dance lessons would be conducted during the "at sea" days. In reality, a lesson was provide on only one day of the 3.5 days at sea. I would have enjoyed more dance lessons during the at sea time.
Roseau, Dominica
The town of Rousseau does not offer much, but the geography of Dominica beyond the town is spectacular and the excusions capitolized on the island's natural beauty.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Disembarkation at 7am when most of the city shops are still closed limited the walking tour city experience. With a 12:30pm "be back on board" time, the best use of time would be an arranged excursion outside the city.
Basseterre, St. Kitts
The island's natural beauty is best seen from bus or hired car visits. Scenic vistas abound.
Don't Miss: Romney Plantation and the adjacent rain forest
Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island)
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas