Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Sail Date: April 10, 2016

Although we were with friends on this cruise and had a great time overall, I did not find the RC cruise itself to be exceptional.  In particular, it seemed that so much of what was offered on board that interested us now involves an extra fee. (We were EXTREMELY pleased to find that the frozen yogurt in the pool area was still provided at no extra charge!!!)   With regard to exercise opportunities, I will never understand why Zumba classes are free and there is a charge for Yoga.  (If there are not enough mats, towels would do!)  While the meal we had in Chops Grille one night was good, it was not that much better than the dining room --- and in fact our waiter in the "fancy" restaurant wasn't as personable or professional as those we had in the dining room -- and the atmosphere certainly wasn't anything warranting the cost of the meal.  And had I known before the cruise that to get off the ship at the Belize port would require a 35-minute tender each way (impossible for my husband who suffers from Parkinson's), I likely would have chosen another itinerary.  Luckily the weather was good the entire trip.  Had it not been, and pool time not been an option,  I don't think the activities offered would have held our interest.  Would have liked to have the option of attending a cultural lecture, playing dominoes or board games, dance lessons, line dancing etc.  And for those of us who are sensitive to smoke, spending time in the casino literally "took our breath away."    With regard to the "blowout" sales....holding them in the narrow Promenade area and close to or during the dinner hour was ill-conceived at best.  Unless one pushed and shoved their way to the table, the merchandise for sale couldn't be seen.   I've picked up a $10 watch or two on every cruise we've taken -- except this one as I was not about to "fight" my way through the frenzy of women grabbing merchandise left and right.    And if one simply wanted to get from one end of the Promenade to the next the congestion made it next to impossible. I doubt that it would have passed a safety inspection.  Also seems like the disembarkation process was the worst we've ever experienced.  Having to "hurry up" to make it to an assigned area and then wait and wait and wait until one's number is called was unnerving --- we could have leisurely finished our breakfast had we been advised that the process was delayed by nearly an hour.   And finally, although we were in group #3,  the lines to go through customs were as long as the busiest  day at Disneyland.    And I suspect it was because we were all tired after a fun-filled 10 days with little sleep but some folks were downright rude to one another having to push their luggage through the narrow "snaked" lines and then having to search for the transfer shuttles to the airport.  A few more RC personnel available to guide folks to where they needed to go would have helped.

Nice to see these is more closet area on the new/refurbished ships. However, the hinge on one of the closet doors in the room broke about 3 days into the cruise. Was dismayed that sample size amenities (shampoo, hair conditioner, body lotion, bath gel soap, etc.) were not provided in the room. Even Motel 6 provides the basics! The shampoo dispenser was OK but there was not much (if any) conditioning properties to it. Next time I'll be sure to pack my own hair products.
Embarkation was great....disembarkation a nightmare (comments in review above)
A 35-minute tender each way is too long!
Included in the review above. Need more for those who are non athletes
Galveston, Texas
Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
Belize City, Belize
Didn't even try to get off the ship due to the length of the tender trip to get to the island.

Unless you enjoy spending time in a smoky casino or lunge, be sure to be prepared to entertain oneself on days at sea when the weather is bad.