Back to the Stone Age

Harmony of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 2-3 cruises

Overall rating:

Harmony of the Seas

7 Night Western Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip)

Sail date: January 27, 2019

Ship: Harmony of the Seas

Cabin type: Oceanview

Traveled as: Singles/Friends

Review summary

I would not do this cruise again primarily because it takes forever to get around the ship, it is mob scene central all the time, getting reservations for things not so easy, food only so-so. Destinations not interesting. The most important thing for me, however, is the fact that the internet service offered doesn't really work (and is very expensive) and communications to home by phone are virtually impossible. I felt like it was back to stone tablets and chisels. Be prepared to be nickel and dimed to death. I hate that gratuities are added to the final bill. If you want a certain amount of gratuity for the staff, build it into the fare or else allow travelers to decide on the gratuity they will leave. Charging $4 for even a glass of seltzer is terrible. Most of the cruise lines should adopt the Viking Cruise model of having many more items included. I most likely will not take a large cruise again. Lovely ship and excellent staff.

Embarkation

Quick, organized and easy

Ship experiences

Food is nothing special. It's really sad when you see breakfast buffets with no blueberries or raspberries. Restaurant food usually good. Desserts not so good. Did not go to specialty restaurants. Cruise is already expensive enough without this experience.

Like the Abyss and the lovely merry go round. The climbing wall, however, is suffering from lack of maintenance. Hand holds twist and are very slick due to a combination of Purell hand sanitzer and humidity in the air. When I noted the hand holds twisting, I was told they can't tighten them because the bolts are stripped. This is a VERY LAX attitude where an attraction can become a safety hazard and in my opinion, already is. Don't try the zip line. If climbing wall safety is so slack, don't risk it.

Vitality at Sea Spa and Fitness Center

Aside from treadmills, ellipticals, weights and bicycles, any other equipment could only be utilized by paying for a class. Here we go again - nickel and dimed to death. I utilize TRX equipment routinely in my home workouts and could not use them on the ship.

Running Track

This is a "track" painted on hard concrete. I did roughly 5 miles on it one day and it took my shin splints and calf muscles 3 days to lose their soreness. Track should have a cushioned surface.

Port Shopping

Fun shopping. Good Haitian crafts at Labadee. Good T-shirts in Jamaica and Cozumel.

Art Gallery

Good, but should be showcasing a wider range of affordable art works by up and coming artists.

The headliner show we saw was a black man who was supposed to be a comic/musician. He was a racist and the bunch of sheep in the audience applauded him like mad. It is not funny when anti-white "comic" remarks are allowed but if the same thing were done in reverse (i.e. a white comic making racist black remarks) that performer would never have a gig anywhere again. Grease was a poorly done show. Much so-called entertainment was not interesting nor well done.

Rock Climbing Wall

This is a dangerous venue and not well maintained. The hand holds are very slick due to an accumulation of Purell hand sanitizer and humidity. Many handholds are loose and turn. When I commented on this, I was told that they can't be tightened because the bolts are stripped. Hello? Even harnessed one can be injured by this and the attitude was that nothing could be done about it. With that the case, I abandoned my plan to ride the zip line. I would be suspect of the same lax attitude toward maintenance.

Arcade

It is very expensive when everything you play for only a minute or two costs $2. Some machines did not function.

High marks should go to every single person working on this massive ship. They are well trained, very responsive and accommodating.

Excellent

Ship tip

Be prepared to enjoy a mob scene

Ports of call

Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida

Did no excursion. Terminal and checkin process very smooth.

Labadee (Cruise Line Private Island)

I think this is a sad place. Armed guards patrol this private area. Haitian crafts people present some very nice art work and crafts. It is not a realistic portrayal of Haiti however.

Falmouth, Jamaica

Did horseback ride followed by tubing down a river. It poured down rain the entire day. I haven't been so cold and wet since I spent a week in Ireland in the winter.

I swam with the manatees. It was great. Shopping also fun.

Disembarkation