Beautiful boat but terrible operations

Harmony of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Harmony of the Seas

7 Night Western Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip)

Sail date: July 29, 2017

Ship: Harmony of the Seas

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 9672

Traveled as: Family (young children)

Review summary

Beautiful boat but way too many people. Very disappointed and would not recommend! Had so many better vacations and extremely upset that I spent the money I did and did not enjoy myself or make good memories. My kids were very disappointed and upset especially since this was their summer vacation trip and it was kind of boring for them and just disappointing.

Embarkation

Terrible! Way too many people and not enough accommodations. Could not accommodate everyone for my time dining...had to wait entirely too long to be sat for meals. Everything closed at 9pm including activities such as basketball, ping pong, etc. Not enough food options included with your fare. they nickel and dime you for everything. Corporate already has my multiple e-mails for every day I sent one while on the boat explaining all of my complaints in great detail.

Ship experiences

The food was great when we were able to actually sit in the main dining room. it was terrible trying to get in to enjoy the food. The buffets closed entirely too early limiting your options for food after 9pm. Several times only one half of the buffet was open making the lines terribly awful and could not even get in to eat.

The options for activities were awesome if you can actually enjoy them. The lines were incredibly too long...worse than waiting in line at Disney for an amusement ride. We waited in line for ziplining and was told my son had to be 75 lbs and I said not an issue as he just went for a school physical and was 76lbs. they weighed him on their scale and tried to tell me he was 67lbs and would not let him go. I went to the medical facility and weighed him and he was 76lbs. It took several days for the sports manager to contact me who met me 2 days before our cruise ended at the medical facility for me to show him he was 76lbs and gave him a wristband so he would not have to be weighed any longer. But the cruise was basically over and I seriously had to go through all of that when I signed the waiver any how? Rock climbing...We waited in line 3 times and each of those times my son was like 4,5,or6 in line to get his shoes and harness and they had shut down that rock climbing wall due to the fine line show. Then the next day we actually stood in line again and when it was our turn to get our shoes, we were told we had to have socks. I did not pack socks as he had the closed toed sandals (mountain shoes) not requiring socks but since we had to use their shoes we had to have socks for hygiene purposes so I asked if I could purchase some...there was not one place on the ship that sold socks. I had to wait until we got off the boat on Jamaica to get socks to then do it. Again, I really had to go through all of that and by that time the cruise was basically over. he only got to enjoy rock climbing and zip lining for 2 days out of the 7. We never got to enjoy ice skating because it was only offered specific times of the day resulting in everyone going in line to attempt to skate. It was entirely too long to wait and we stopped trying. the abyss slide....would be nice to know that you have to be completely dry and have to have long sleeves in order to be allowed to slide. That was quite annoying trying to plan your day around when you can slide. Ex. have to slide first in the day before going to the pool or go to pool first and then change clothes to go slide. All the other activities ended at 9pm. All kids under 18 had a curfew at 1am but what can they do between 9pm and 1am? The teen club was really only music playing and talking along with video games which my teens are not into.

The Grease show was amazing! We all really enjoyed that show. We did not see the other shows except for the Fine Line show but that was only because we complained to guest services that on the IQ ipad on ship there were no other shows available to reserve and the entertainment director called and scheduled us for the show. Honestly, it was okay. It really did not have a purpose. Not my favorite.

My 9 year old son thought the voyagers club was very juvenile and boring. He may be more mature than most 9 year olds, but it did look and seem juvenile. My 14 year old daughter and her 14 year old friend found the teen club boring as well. Why were the pools and everything else closed at 9? not much for this age to do after 9. Very disappointed!!!!!

Absolutely beautiful ship but too many people and not enough elevators and very poorly organized . When you close everything down and limit accommodations for so many people on the ship, it forces everyone to conjugate at the same places resulting in clusters and chaos. It really needs to be more

Very nice rooms.

Ship tip

Don't go! Choose another cruise line or ship. Not worth the money. Feels like you are paying to go to school with all of the rules instead of a vacation.

Ports of call

Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida

Labadee (Cruise Line Private Island)

Falmouth, Jamaica

Disembarkation

The elevators were extremely packed and we had to wait forever to use them to get down to the floor to leave. We had to use the elevator as we carried our luggage off for a faster leave.