Grandeur of the Seas: baltimore - bermuda: 8/29/14 - 9/4/14
Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review to Bermuda
Sail Date: August 29, 2014
Ship: Grandeur of the Seas
Cabin Type: Inside
Cabin Number: 2009
Traveled As: Family (older children)
Reviewed: 3 years ago
I have been on Costa, Celebrity, Norwegian, & RC cruise lines. I have enjoyed all my cruises.
However, while I would rate this most recent cruise "good," I had some significant negative experiences which I will share:
1. The various staff was ignorant of the locations of specific rooms on the ship; we were given wrong directions on several occasions, e.g., sent the wrong way to the front of the ship; to the wrong floor for a specific room (e.g., Schooner Bar), etc.
2. The Service in the dining room was very disappointing. The only Service personnel we were pleased with are: (a) Robert, (b) Yogi; (c) Larry; (d) David. while I tried to relax & accept mistakes, when I ask for 1 scoop of chocolate & 1 scoop of coffee ice cream, but get 3 scoops of coffee, that's not right. I realize it's not a big deal, but still significant. In general, the staff seemed uninterested. You should TRAIN THEM to have the attitude: you're eating in my home; I will do whatever I can to make your experience enjoyable & memorable. It seemed they were mentally elsewhere; anxious to complete the meal; didn't care about our happiness.
3. Alycia was EXCELLENT in running the ping pong tournament!
4. It was very difficult to find a Bar staff personnel while in the dining room. We paid $49/day for unlimited drinks; & I had to go to the bar & get it myself, during meals. Bar Service was terrible.
5. The food was disappointing. I thought it'd be better than the buffet. The prime rib was not fresh; was chewy & overcooked. I was paying for 6 people. I do not believe in spending more $$$ to eat in the fancy restaurants for additional money. But for what we pay, I expect a better quality food in the main dining room. It was "good." Not "great."
I believe if you instilled in the staff to have a better attitude, exert more effort into pleasing the passengers, you would reap the benefits in many different ways.
We usually choose our cruises based on our desired destination(s), calendar schedules, & price. If it came down to similar cruises, between Norwegian & RC, it'd be Norwegian. No question.