Not Worth It

Golden Princess Cruise Review to South Pacific - Australia

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Golden Princess

8 Night Southern Australia & Tasmania (Melbourne Roundtrip)

Sail date: January 02, 2020

Ship: Golden Princess

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: D734

Traveled as: Family (older children)

Review summary

We are yearly cruisers in our 40s/50s, and were bored out of our minds on this cruise (to the point we considered leaving the ship early). All of the activities and entertainment is geared towards a MUCH older, less active crowd (even the front desk confirmed this). If you enjoy a more quiet experience - i.e. knitting classes, bossanova music, in bed by 10pm - than this is the cruise for you. They do not offer a variety to appeal to all ages, even though there were some younger folks on board (although I’d say 75% on the guests were retirement age or older). The good news is that the casino will never be crowded so you’ll always get a seat at a table (and may often be one of a few people in there). Just watch the dealers! My son was cheated my a dealer who couldn’t count to 21 and when caught, the pit boss said “he’s just a trainee” and laughed. We will NOT be cruising with Princess again.

Embarkation

This was the smoothest part of the trip. Staff was super friendly and check in was a breeze (most of which I had done online prior). I was onboard within 20 minutes.

Ship experiences

I gave it one star because my 1 experience in the specialty restaurants was amazing, otherwise it would have gotten zero stars. The staff was awful! Some of the worst service I ever experienced on a cruise. The wait staff in Bernini was so rude that we ate at the buffet the rest of the meals (on the flip side, the Horizon staff was exceptional). Bar staff was terrible - I had to constantly get my own drinks rather than being served. Overall, the quality of the food was subpar, but edible.

The activities are geared towards those over 60, and not necessarily active. There is little to nothing to do.

Much like the activities, the entertainment is geared towards the over 60, less active crowd.

The front desk and Horizon buffet staff were incredible, however the rest of the food and beverage staff was some of the worst I’ve experienced.

The ship is old and rundown. It’s being retired fall of 2020 and it’s clear Princess isn’t dropping a lot of money into upkeep.

It was marketed as a junior suite, however, this is just a typical balcony room with a pullout sofa. The room is spacious, especially the bathroom (it has a tub), but it’s definitely run down.

Ship tip

If you’re active, or under 60, this is not the ship for you. Definitely geared towards the older, less active crowd.

Ports of call

Melbourne, Australia

A lot to do

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Bonorong Sanctuary is amazing and well worth the trip

Kangaroo Island, Australia Did not visit port

cancelled due to the fires

Port Lincoln, Australia

There is nothing to see or do at this port unless you’re on an excursion. Swimming with the Sea Lions is incredible!

Adelaide, Australia

A lot to see and do

Disembarkation

Relatively easy. I was able to change to a later time and all of our luggage was together by family.