Not impressed with Royal Caribbean, but the ports of call were great

Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review to Europe - Northern Europe

8 Night Norwegian Fjords (Southampton Roundtrip)
Sail Date: May 26, 2015
Ship: Explorer of the Seas

This was my first time cruising with Royal Caribbean.  All my previous cruising experience was with Carnival.  I guess I expected more because RC cruises are more expensive and considered a notch above Carnival.  That was not my experience though.  Carnival is much better in the following areas:  Bathrobes in staterooms, better food variety, quality and availability of health conscious foods in all dining rooms, better entertainment overall.  The Explorer of the Seas is a beautiful ship, but was much too crowded, especially since we were confined inside most of the time due to bad weather.  We were always having to look for a place to sit in the Windjammer cafe, and all lounges.  I found myself hanging out in my cabin for a good part of the trip.

Didn't go there - it got cancelled after we booked the cruise. Instead we went to Rotterdam, which was okay.
Loved the long journey into the fjord, with the beautiful quaint village at the end.
Loved the train ride - but the hike was cancelled due to snow
The weather was bad when we were there, and I didn't find a lot to do in Alesund
Loved the history of the old town, shops and restaurants which served traditional Norwegian food.