Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean

Good trip, not the best however

Sail Date: July 31, 2014

Excursion issues were never addressed even though we had submitted our concerns in writing TWICE. We submitted a RC survey requesting that they contact us directly and that has not happened either. Staff does not know what excursions they actually have as the excursion desk told us they did not have the excursion that we requested--after seeing it in THEIR brochure.  We were able to book it from our room The excursion was supposed to be 6.5 hours yet it was only 5.  It was supposed to include shopping in St Maarten--shops close in St. Maarten at 5:00 and the tour waited until 4:55 to tell us the shops were closing and we would not be going to them.  Yet we had just spent 2 hours on a beach instead of shopping first.  Windjammer food was dry and cooked to far in advance most of the time.  Carpets in staterooms were stained with what might have been coffee. When arriving in ports passengers are told to wait for an announcement before trying to leave ship--no announcements were made.  Dining room food was very good but the wait staff kept referencing tips and how we should pay it forward as money was sent back home.  Service should speak for itself without trolling or reminders--each passenger already pays $12 a day in gratuities and extra should be for exemplary service and not because the table's head waiter reminds us of how important tips are to him OR that we should give the main dining a '10' when we receive the RC survey via email.  The service and food was good but I was annoyed at these tacky reminders.  I will tip extra if I choose to do so and will fill out a survey based upon the experience I had on the trip. I actually did leave a very nice extra tip envelope for the main dining room staff --I had turned this in prior to the last dinner and the waiter amped up the trolling that night.  I actually would have left less of a tip if I had known he was going to amp up his efforts.

Good rather than OK
Good rather than OK
Children's Programs not used
Good other than condition of carpet
Cape Liberty (Bayonne), New Jersey
Very unorganized for arrival. Self assist departure went very well upomn return
King's Wharf, Bermuda
Not enough time to really enjoy the stop
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
Do not do the 4x4 excursion--total waste of money
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Good, not OK.. Old San Juan is great to just walk around. You can get $10 tours just outside terminal or enjoy cuisine.
Labadee (Cruiseline Private Island)
Very nice but avoid the local vendors. They are very persistent and it gets quite annoying. It is much worse than it was on our last cruise. Have water shoes as the water is quite rocky

Windjammer is often very crowded--try to get to breakfast between 8 and 9 and lunch around 2:00 in order to avoid crowds and be able to get a table. Solarium pool is much more quiet if you want some down time.
Try the promenade pizza.