Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Great cruise-Did not exceed expectations

Sail Date: February 16, 2014

Room Type: Suite

I took this trip with my family, 2 kids, husband, 3 sisters..in all there were 19 of us!  We had a great cruise because we had fun doing things together.  Royal Caribbean claims to exceed expectations, but I did not feel they did that on this ship.  I had a better experience 3 years ago on the Radiance.  The food was definitely mediocre.  If you do not enjoy seafood, as I do not, then there were not a lot of options during dinner.  The pasta was often not as described and was bland and dry, very little sauce was ever given.  The beef no matter what cut I got was flavorless.  My appetizer was messed up 3 nights, one of which was a disaster because they served me clam chowder.  I did not know it was clam chowder until I took a bite.  That left me ill and unable to really continue my meal.  My daughter ordered veggies w/dip every night and you would have thought by the 3rd night of saying she'd take that again, they would be automatically bringing it.  My ice tea was never there upon arrival, nor my sons soda.  I have found this type of exceptional service often on other cruises.  The above and beyond service was not here on this ship.  The Windjammer Cafe, buffet style, was basically the same everyday and the food was just ok.  During dinner our waiter and assistant waiter did not go above and beyond for my service or my kids.  However, I will admit that they definitely did for my husband, often bringing him 2 portions (the main entre portions were very small.

There were definitely other areas of the ship/service that I did not find to exceed my expectations: the cabin steward service, kids activities, toddler/baby activities, casino dealers/atmospher, bingo...

I had a great time because like I said, we made it a great time.  I enjoyed my family.

Our cabin steward only did an animal 3x, knowing that was my son's favorite thing- he looked forward to in before arrival! We always had to ask for our glasses to be cleaned, or for a breakfast menu, or ice, or coffee mugs
My 6 year old son was let down 3 times- During an activity on the Promenade they were serving snow cones, popcorn and subs- he got online right away to get popcorn and just as he made it up there they ran out and instead of just making more they closed it. It wasn't even the time the 'party' was supposed to end. Also, he was 1/2 inch too short for the water slide at the private island and after waiting all that time in line the guy wouldn't just let him go on it.. There was a really rude boy in the kids club one night and nothing was being done abou it. This caused my son to not want to return.
Onboard Activities We attended every bingo and usually bought the electric boards and paper. During the final large jackpot bingo game my electronic machine kept blacking out. I would press the button and it would flash just long enough to see the screen, that it would black out. The attendant kept coming over but couldn't do anything about it and just said, well if it was a winner then it would tell you!!!!!!! what is the point of playing and spending $60 if you can't even see the screen!
Once you've gotten off in Nassau once, there is no point of getting off again. Unless you are spending a lot on jewelery or watches, there is no point of getting off. We are not in Florida long enough to do anything worth spending money on- $100 for Disney.