Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

My maiden voyage

Sail Date: October 06, 2006

The ship was great. By the end of the first day I had a pretty good sense of the layout but I was still finding "new" places as late as the eighth day! There were some areas that showed some wear and tear (tattered carpet on stairs, etc) but they were constantly working on routine maintenance and even replaced all of our mattresses and bed frames while were onboard (and we saw them unload them from the ship to give to the residents of one of the poorer island communiities).

Pros: Lots to do on and off the ship!!

Cons: There seemed to be some confusion about theme nights

Philipsburg, St. Maarten
The people of this island were VERY friendly and welcoming. The public beach by the water taxi port was very pretty and gave a good view of the Ship.
Don't Miss: The Guavaberry Shop on the main drag! You have to get a Guavaberry Colada!!
Labadee (Cruiseline Private Island)
This was the most beautiful place that I have ever been to! The water was clear, the rocks were really fun to hike up to, there was plenty of shade to escape from the sun, and the island tram made getting around easy. It was great to have food set out all of the time. The only thing that would have made this better is if there were organized activities on the beach (volleyball, tug of war, scavenger hunt. . .) This is something that would have really added to the day, even if you just wanted to watch everybody else participate.
Don't Miss: Dragon's Breath
San Juan, Puerto Rico
At first I didn't care much for this port but the more I think about it, the more I really enjoyed it. There were several local artisians selling their crafts along the cobblestone streets, the microbrew had suprisingly excellent beer, the iron gridding on the buildings looked like Europe and the Butterfly People was truly amazing!!!
Don't Miss: The Butterfly People (truly amazing, beautiful, and FREE to visit!)
Labadee (Cruiseline Private Island)
Don't Miss: Dragon's Breath
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Don't Miss: The Butterfly People (truly amazing, beautiful, and FREE to visit!)
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Tip: Take a taxi from the port to the downtown area. The area in between under construction and is essentially a walking tour lined with dumpsters.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten