Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean

Finally, a chance to relax!

Sail Date: July 06, 2007

Traveled As: Family w/young children

The activities wre very good and something was provided for everyone. We were disappointed in the activities offered at the camps though! There were not enough outside games or activities and the kids were kept inside most of the time in one room. With the ice rink, golf, rock wall, pool, etc., I would have thought that the children would have the opportunity to use these amenities through the camp program. My eight year old tolerated camp better than the 1, and 14 year old. Both of the older ones did not want to return after two times at the camp.
I also did not like the desserts. They were not anything special and I skipped dessert a few times at dinner because of the lack of choices. The majority of the choices were made with Liquor which did not appeal to the children either.
The two midnight buffets had litle food in terms of quantity and choices. The poolside buffet was held on the night before we docked in St. Thomas (when we had to get up by 8:00am for mandatory customs). So after going to bed late we had to wake extra early the next day.
The process of getting off the ship for touring the islands was easy and fast but the debarkation at the end was long and tedious. Food should have been provided because the children don't eat much at 7:00am and we got off the ship at 11:15am.
We had a nice time overall and everyone in our family cannot wait until the next cruise--so there were more positives than negatives!

Pros: The friendliness and help from the crew

Cons: the desserts!

Recommends Explorer of the Seas? Yes!

Kids needed to be outside more and not stuck in a room. If they attended camp each day they would have never swam or climbed the rock wall or have done any of the amenitis on the boat. The purpose of camp is to give parents a break and the parents still had to take the kids to all of those activities because camp took them nowhere!
Needed more desserts options each night. Most were made with a liquor which gave them a funny taste and the wasn't a hit with the kids. 6:00 dinner is too early. I felt like we cut our daytime activities short each time. 7:00 dinner would have been better.
It was very dificult to find my room on Deck 3 because the ice rink did not allow me to go from one end of Deck 3 to the other. I had to go up to Deck 5 then back down to the other side of 3. No signs or info indicated that and we spent an hour the first day finding the room!
Everyone was knowledgeable and friendly, except for the first day when we could find no one to help us find our room.
Alot of stuff was packed into that little room. But we had 4 people in our stateroom and lots of clothes and did not feel cramped.
The cruise staff was very good and the director-Allan Brooks was one of the funniest people I have met. There was something for everyone whether you choose to stay inside or at the pool.
King's Wharf, Bermuda
We got very burnt at the beach (Horseshoe Bay). We also did not buy any excursions and used cabs on the islands with no problems.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
Since we got there late due to amedical emergency, it is hard to critique St. Maarten. But we were able to do some shopping and walk around a bit when we docked.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
I did not like Sapphire Beach which was a favorite of the cab driver. He would have taken us anywhere but we choose to go there based on a recommendation.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Again, we negotiated a price with a cab driver and got a nice, inexpensive tour of San Juan. Then we went shopping which was fun!