Disney cruise - Why?

Disney Wonder Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Contributor Level: Third Mate

4 Night Key West & Bahamas (Miami Roundtrip)
Sail Date: April 18, 2013
Ship: Disney Wonder
Cabin Type: Suite
We have been on 4 other Royal Caribbean cruises, this our first Disney cruise. In Disney's defense (maybe) Wonder is the oldest ship in their fleet, although I've also been on RC ships of the same vintage that were far superior.

Note that we did not travel with children (a company trip so we didn't choose the trip), but viewed it as an opportunity to examine if we would take grand kids someday.

I found it odd that the activities for kids went so late. Saw lots of little screaming kids having meltdowns that needed to be in bed.

Compared to the other cruises:

little for adults to do
only two shops (and this from people who aren't shoppers)
coffee sucked! no excuse for this
fewer activities for kids that on RC cruises (I was amazed at that). Most centered around getting a picture taken with a Disney character (for which the lines were incredible) of some music/parties with the Disney characters making an appearance (which were boring - same thing, just different characters)
in room TV was almost exclusively Disney content, could rarely even get some news.
Food was only OK and quality of bar drinks was poor
Pools and hot tubs were small in size (yeah, I know, "it's a small, small world" - sorry, couldn't resist)
While having a balcony was nice, the deck to railing plexiglass was so dirty/weathered that while seated, one couldn't see through it
Too much marketing to buy Disney merchandise and on-board services
On Castaway Cay, on -beach service was incredibly poor. Our order saw forgotten one time and even when the server remembered, it took a long time to get our order (and that on the adult beach where I would have expected better)

There's more, but I'll just end with... I'd never cruise with Disney again, even with kids.

The one thing that I found truly outstanding was the Disney Dream show. Sad thing is that on any of the other cruises I've taken, I'd have had a list....

Just left and returned there, didn't do anything cruise related
First time, wish we had spent more time
Not one of our favorite ports
on beach service was really poor