Disney Dream Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Didn't meet my expectations

Sail Date: December 24, 2015

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Cabin: 7188?

The Disney Dream is overrated. This was my first Disney Cruise and I had very high expectations since it IS a Disney Cruise. Disney usually never lacks in quality and entertainment in my opinion, but on this ship, they did.

3  out of the 4 nights onboard at dinner, I had to ask the server for my drink after food had already been served; Not great service. My table sat with empty plates until the next course came to the table every night. The restaurant staff in the main dining areas were not attentive and didn't seem to be as well trained as other cruise lines.

The stateroom layout is very nice.  I like the divided bathroom. Having a curtain to divide the bed from the couch/sitting area is nice to have available. The balcony is bigger than on some ships I have been on, which is nice.  I was shocked at the non-existent night-life. Around 11pm or so, I was wondering where everyone was at?  The ship was almost like a ghost town.

The Aquaduck was fun and the most fun of the ship for me, as an adult, other than sitting on my balcony, visiting with family and seeing the shows from Disney. Castaway Cay is great and the best cruise line island I have been to. Great food is offered on Castaway Cay, great snorkeling to look for Disney characters in the water.

I did NOT like on debarkation how passengers are not given a choice where to eat.  The place where passengers ate on the last night of the cruise is where you will eat breakfast before leaving the ship. Horrible idea to me. I didn't care much for the food in the restaurant nor the lack of good service that you pay for in a cruise so why would I want to be forced to go back to the same restaurant that I didn't care for? No buffet breakfast  where you have more options. Also, if you eat a early dinner, you will have an early breakfast on debarkation day, 6:45 am. and be off the ship by 9am.  The server staff follows you each night from restaurant to restaurant, so if you had bad service the first night at dinner, you will each night following.  You have to take your carry-on or any other items you have with you that the ships crew are not taking off for you the night before, to the restaurant. Bad idea to me. We usually eat breakfast, go back to the stateroom, for 30 minutes or so until we have to debark; not so on Disney. I am all about My Time Dining as on other cruise lines.

The magician onboard was a 3 out of 10.  Not sure where a  premium cruise line got there talent from.

I did see Star Wars onboard!  Nice theater, but the chairs were not so comfortable.

I would not recommend the Disney Dream. The Disney cruise line is overrated, OVERPRICED for sure, considering there was nothing special about the actual cruise line, other than the name. That is what passenger are paying for, the name.

The nightlight is a nice added feature in the room. Having a curtain to divide the bed from the sitting area is nice to have as well. I also liked having the divided bathroom. Nice size balcony, bigger than most ships I have been on.
Embarkation was okay, debarkation = horrible. Terrible process in my opinion.
Nassau should be take off of all cruise ship itineraries. Castaway Cay is very nice, the best cruise ship island I have been to.
There were activities onboard? I did watch Star Wars!
The shows were good except for the magician.
lack of service in attentiveness from server staff.
average to below average food, service, dining.
Port Canaveral, Florida
Don't bother getting off the ship. The excursions are mediocre, scenery from a boat of ship is nice.
Castaway Cay (Disney Private Island)
The fresh fruit and ice cream was the best. The lunch was very good too. The snorkeling was fun, water was nice. Very nice island to spend the day on.

Go on the Norwegian Getaway. Disney is overrated. The shopping onboard is pretty good and very busy the last night of the cruise. Maybe bring pirate attire? I noticed maybe 30-40% people dressed for pirate night onboard.