Crown Princess Cruise Review to Caribbean

my cruise review

Sail Date: September 12, 2006

The ship was beautiful, the food was excellent, except for coffee, which varied in taste and the desserts were pretty, but bland overall. Our room was spacious, clean and well appointed. I suggest more shaded chaises,poolside. There was too much commercialism for the cruise line and things were expensive, pictures, etc. There is an automatic additional gratuity for all beverages and every receipt has a line for you to add additional gratuity, so pay attention!! Some crew were excellent, some were rude .I overheard murmurings about passengers and general unhappiness from some crew. It was unpleasant to not receive good customer service at each encounter. One of our excursions was cancelled and were notified by a note we found on our door when we were leaving for lunch. The note also said we needed to go get our refund that day within a particular time frame, (we should have been automatically given a refund if the tour was cancelled, why would we have to go and get it?) when we went for the refund, we were told it was too late to book an alternate. This was very disappointing, we should have been contacted right away, not when the booking time was finished.

Pros: the food

Cons: the fact that the time at the islands was so short and the excursion situation

The staff was friendly most of the time. Sometimes customer service did not meet our expectations, but overall, it was positive.
The variety of entertaiment was good. The singers and dancers were entertaining, the comedians funny. The staff at the lounges were entertaining and kept everything upbeat. Onboard shopping was disappointing; expensive and not a great variety. If, however, you forget anything essential, you can find it at the shops; clothing, toiletries, etc. Activities were good, but most require additional fees.
The ship was very beautiful and clean. I did find it difficult to find our dining room for any time dining.
The food overall was great, I actually liked eating at the buffet more than the dining room. Choices at the buffet were very good, a wide range, times were convenient, dining room was clean and pretty, however, sometimes it was difficult to find a seat. Several times were had to eat in our room, unless we wanted to sit and eat with other people.

In the dining room, we chose to eat alone, and even though we sat at our own table, we were less than 1 foot away from another table, as if we were all eating together. Additionally, we were right on top of the servers bar area. There was a lot of banging of doors and food trays, etc. At the other dining room, however we had a very enjoyable meal.
The room was large and very clean, the service from our cabin steward was terrific. He worked very hard to keep our room in top shape. We were right near the elevator, but we didn't have a long walk and we didn't really hear it.
George Town, Grand Cayman
I expected more from Grand Cayman, I didn't realize it is still recovering from the storm. The excursion was okay. We did the turtle farm and underwater sub. Our driver was good.
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
This port was scary, the shopping was average. I would not visit this port again, without an excursion, some tour operators on shore were too aggressive.
Grand Turk Island
We did not chose an excersion here, but the port area was very clean and pretty. There was a nice pool and fun entertainment at Jimmy Buffets. The shopping was okay.
Ocho Rios, Jamaica