Costa Serena Cruise Review to Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

Great locations, but poor access

Sail Date: August 01, 2010

The ship itself is great. It's large and well laid out. It's a little on the gaudy side, but I think that's typical of cruises (I don't go on many). There were too many children there for my taste, but again, that's probably typical for a cruise.

Pros: Service and destinations

Cons: The excursions we wanted were often unavailable due to insufficient english speaking guests

Recommends Costa Serena? No.

The dinners were very good, but the other food was mediocre to poor. I was a little turned off my the fact that you had to pay for drinks (including water, juice or soda). I'm just not used to that as an American.
Everyone spoke fluent English and was incredibly helpful and polite. I was very impressed with the crew.
There were a large number of activities and entertainment options. We only took advantage of them selectively, but enjoyed everything we went to.
Katakolon (Olympia), Greece
We went to the Olympia site and had a marvelous time touring the ruins. Our tour guide was well informed, spoke perfect english and great the whole time.
Don't Miss: The ruins at Olympia
Bari, Italy
I wouldn't go back there as it's less spectacular than other places in Italy. Still, it was interesting to go walk around.
Istanbul, Turkey
I had high expectations for Istanbul, and they were met. The city is enormous and full of interesting history. We visited a lot of sights and my only complaint was that the "all day" tours weren't available for english speaking guests. With only a half day, I didn't get to see everything I wanted, but was impressed with what I had time for.
Don't Miss: Hagia Sophia
Dubrovnik, Croatia
We just spend the day on the beach, which turned out to be a great decision. If you go, try to bring a mask and snorkle as the water is incredibly clear and condusive to some water activity.
Don't Miss: The beaches
Izmir, Turkey
I was blown away by the ruins at Ephesus. I had never really heard of the site before, but I have since been inspired to learn all about it. Fanstastic set of ruins and history to visit. Skip the House of the Virgin Mary. It's crowded, requires a long wait, and doesn't include anything worth seeing.
Don't Miss: Ephesus