Costa Fortuna Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Skinnier than I left home....

Sail Date: March 16, 2008

Ship was okay - room was the norm. Casino had a few 1 and 2 cent slot machines and seemed to be paying off for most people.

Got sick on the morning of the third day due to food poisoning. No one else in my party got sick...just me. Stayed in cabin and one other room (can you guess which one?) for a few days. I did lose a few pounds on this trip!

Food was very European (Italian) and was not very appealing to me. I liked some of the items on the dinner menu; but others, were not exactly something to write home about.

Pros: A pool set aside for adults only

Cons: Food poisoning on third day - missed Puerto Rico!

Recommends Costa Fortuna? No.

My 17 year-old son had fun and stayed in the hot tub the whole time.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
I wasn't able to go on a tour (still sick), but my husband and son went on the America's Cup sailing adventure and had a blast. $92/person was well worth the money.
Don't Miss: America's Cup Sailing Adventure
Road Town, Tortola, B.V.I.
Beaches were closed due to high surf (wind). Son and husband went on 2 hour tour around the island ($15/person - catch jitney outside of gate to save some money - same tour the cruise ship offers, but cheaper). I couldn't chance not have a potty for over 2 hours. Did a little shopping at port with mom. Nothing to write home about and it's in little shacks near the entrance of the port.
Don't Miss: Island tour for $15/person
Finally, I was able to make a trip away from the ship. Took taxi to Atlantis (Paradise Island) for $4/person plus tip. Islanders were friendly. Atlantis had nice yachts to look at, one even had a helicopter on the back of it! Shopping at the straw market near the port was interesting. Locals beg you to buy their stuff. lots of fake designer wares (coach, kate spade, etc.) If you want a different and less stress experience, stick to the basic tourist shops on main strip.
Don't Miss: Atlantis was nice and easy to get to - shopping was good, too.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I wasn't able to leave my cabin on this day, but my husband and son had a good time shopping (booze and stuff).
Don't Miss: Shopping for booze duty free - best prices than in any other port