Celebrity Summit Cruise Review to Bermuda

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Celebrity Summit - Bermuda

Sail Date: May 26, 2013

My husband and I had a good time on the Celebrity Summit at the end of May 2013 to Bermuda. We were in an Aquaclass stateroom, which I would highly recommend! We were greeted with a bottle of champagne, canapes daily, and most importantly were able to eat in the Aquaclass only dining room, Blu, every night. We checked the menu of the main dining room and Blu, and felt that Blu offered better menu items nightly. The service there was top notch and the food was excellent. We did hear quite a few complaints from many people on the cruise about the quality of main dining room (Cosmopolitan Restaurant) food and inconsistency of the food.
I had only one major complaint and one minor complaint about the cruise and ship. The major complaint was the food timing in the Oceanview cafe, the buffet/casual dining room. My husband and I went to eat there a few times while in port for lunch at 11:30 am and dinner around 5 pm as we just wanted to grab something quick and head off of the ship. On all of these occasions, food was out but was blocked off (the shades were pulled over the food) until 11:45 am and 5:30 pm... so it was impossible to grab something quickly which was very frustrating. It would not have been as big of an issue for me if this had occurred at 3 pm, but 11:30 am and 5 pm are peak times for dining (as a reminder, Celebrity considers itself a good cruise line for "foodies"). The minor complaint was the fit and finish of the ship. I expected it to be almost pristine since it had just been refurbished, however there were rusty areas on our balcony, and the windows were not always clean unlike on other ships we have been on, etc. Again, this was minor, but for a just-refurbished ship it was surprising. We spoke with a lady who had been on the ship just prior to the refurbishment and just after and she stated she could not notice any major differences other than the addition of some new restaurants. On a brighter note, QSine was excellent dining and I would highly recommend it! Bermuda was beautiful and everyone on and off of the ship were very friendly. We had a good experience overall, but I do hope that they get the food situation in the Oceanview cafe figured out as it would have made for a more enjoyable experience. Seating was never a problem in the restaurants/dining areas and we spoke to some people who reported that Celebrity was actually enforcing the pool chair policy and would remove items if they were left too long to free up seating for other guests, which is a plus.
Only Fair in the Oceanview Cafe (good choices, but not always available at peak times); food and service was excellent in Blu
I wish there would have been more entertainment throughout the day, especially on sea days, as many of the activities were for a fee and there were not as many choices as we have seen on other cruise lines
Children's Programs n/a - we did see younger kids pretending to be pirates going through the ship and looked like they were having an excellent time!

Eat in Blu if your stateroom allows... QSine is also excellent but costly so go for lunch on the last sea day as it is nearly half price!

1 Comment