Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Far from luxury cruising.

Sail Date: March 04, 2016

I contracted pneumonia and knew it, yet it took 4 tries to get in to see the ship's doctor.  Got soaked from a maintenance worker cleaning a few decks up, while sitting on the balcony having breakfast...which was ruined, too.  Electric scooters are everywhere and are a menace as the people don't know how to drive them or don't care.  I got hit from behind with one, almost got my foot run over TWICE from people backing up without looking first and the 2nd time I was able to slide my foot out of my shoe just in time.  The shoe was ruined.  People with her were shouting for her to stop, as was I, because it was so congested outside the theater that I had no place to move to.  Her husband tried to laugh it off saying that she needed a learner's permit.  Neither I, nor the others around her, found that amusing.  Went to the Captain's Club 5-7 p.m. Happy Hour on Deck 14 and waited 20 minutes for a waiter of any kind.  I had my arm up trying to signal someone, but even a ship's officer was too busy talking to take notice.  Lesson learned:  do not arrive at 6 p.m. or later. Also, chairs are really in need of refurbishing up there. Love to play trivia games and found it strange that they have taken to eliminating the fun little trinkets as a prize for the winner.  Cheap, cheap.  Food was repiticious in the Oceanview Cafe and the menus weren't all that great in the Silhouette either. Trying to get passengers to spend more by going to the specialty restaurants which are what the main dining room used to be back in the day. The only time there was ever any difficulty in making a decision was during lobster night as they had ALL the good stuff on the same menu.  Upon departure we opted for a later departure time (we were driving) in order to help accommodate others who were trying to catch a flight, excursion, etc.  We had our choice of Harvest Silk or Tuscan as our waiting lounge for Concierge Class and/or Elite members.  By 8:30 neither had a pastry, coffee, juice or even a cup of water.  All had been taken away already.  I told the hostess that we had morning meds to take and she told us to go up to the Oceanview and "see what might be left up there."  Her words, not mine.  This was the Captain's Club Elite hostess throughout the cruise who said this.  Not too interested in seeing to guest's needs once the "magic time" rolls around.  The whole experience was like Celebrity got a new CFO and he/she came from Carnival and chose to run Celebrity the same way.  We took the Equinox trans-Atlantic and through the Mediterranean in 2012 and you'd never know we were on the same ship.  Having said all that, the theater entertainment was fantastic although the other musicians around the ship were mediocre at best.  Again, same old, same old.  No more harpist, pianist/singer, or better yet, those fantastic a'Cappella groups.  They had a HUGE following on all 3 Solstice class ships we were on yet Celebrity chose to do away with them.  We booked a New England-Canada cruise for 2017 but we are really rethinking this choice after seeing how drastically Celebrity has changed...and not for the better.  I am glad to see that they have done away with the archaic formal nights.  Only wish I knew about it first so I didn't pack for them.

Cabin stewards were wonderful and did an excellent job. Enjoyed the afternoon canapes that were brought in and always a full bucket of ice. Risky to sit out on the balcony and eat because you never know what cleaning person above might be picking that particular time to use the hose.
Make sure you get anything you want to eat or drink into your cabin the night before or you'll get nothing if you are trying to be considerate to those needing to disembark early.
Furniture in many areas need addressing.
Why stop at Barbados? Nobody wants to get off because there is really no place to go for more leisure activities.
Few children on board, but the ones that were in the dining room were clearly bored and not wanting to be there.
Theater was fantastic; around the ship, not so much.
Jorge, Damien and Silvanno were most helpful; others were ho-hum.

Don't take the Equinox. It has really gone downhill in the past 3 years. Most staff are friendly, but the last day really shows that it is forced and not sincere. So many seem to be over-worked and tired. Don't miss the glass blowing experience, but do come early or you will stand throughout.