Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review to Europe - Western Europe

SUBLIME!

Sail Date: October 16, 2016

Reviewed: 22 days ago

I need to be curmudgeonly not to give this cruise 5 stars, but unlike 90 per cent of the passengers, I suspect, I found the director of entertainment, Sue, somewhat overwhelming and a little like a cheer leader. She was ubiquitous - her job, I guess,  - and dare I say, pushy, but I am sure that she ticked all the boxes required of her in her job description.

Concierge class cabin was roomy, lovely balcony, but could have done with more storage space. Service throughout was immediate and immaculate, drinks package was worthwhile, formal dining always excellent, and buffet food par for the course! Eclipse is a beautiful, well designed boat, which I appreciated even more a second time around.

When will the cruise industry start to give fuller descriptions and itineraries for the ports of call. It appears to be so commercialised, intent on selling those pricey tours. For example, the flea market in Lisbon, open on Tuesdays and Sundays, and less than a mile from our mooring on a Tuesday and a very short walk, received no mention! The industry also appears to be retreating from what I would have considered an obligation to provide free transport to city centres.

The few hours that are passed in most ports of call provide little opportunity for proper exploration, which is why I greatly appreciated the overnight in Lisbon, one of my favourite cities. That should have been the highlight of the cruise, but in fact, it was my unwilling participation in the passenger choir, wonderfully led by the chorus captain, that most galvanised me. Bravo and congratulations!