Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Below expectations

Sail Date: December 12, 2015

We had one previous cruise on Celebrity that prompted us to book on them again. We were Concierge Class both times.  We were so impressed with the Eclipse that it was such a letdown to not have the same caliber service, food, and interior decorating (especially the artwork). We realize the Constellation is an older ship and not the same class, but we expected, it being Celebrity, to not feel the same as being on Norwegian or RCCL -- we had thought it was a class above.  We rarely ate in the San Marco dining room because it felt like a cattle car and was so poorly designed, there were tables in the guests and waiters' passageway. We were Select Dining because we wanted to be able to come when we felt like it, but learned we had to make reservations. We preferred dining at the Bistro on 5 ($10 charge).

But it certainly wasn't all disappointing -- the entertainment was some of the best I've ever seen on a cruise and I've been on ones with Las Vegas entertainers and ice skating shows. Jayne Curry has a phenomenal voice and a wonderful wit and puts on a fast paced and fun show.  And the illusionist Jason Bishop was top rate; I couldn't believe what he did and we were sitting right up front.  Also, the ship's five piece band was exceptional, as were the dancing and singing troop of 14 and their shows.  It was unexpected to see a stage that had moving floor pieces and ropes for aerial artists who, by the way, were incredible.

Another positive was our excursion in Cozumel. We went on a chocolate making and wine tasting tour which was educational, fun, and delicious. The three women who led it did a super job and we left with chocolate bars we had made ourselves from cocoa beans!

The Captain was a hoot!  He participated in a show called The Liars Club with two other crew members and couldn't have been funnier. And his presentation on the building of the Solstice ship class was interesting and humorous and I wish I could have stayed until the end but the Captain's Club had a wine tasting that I'd signed up for.  So scheduling was off in that respect.  Also, they had their club get-together early in the day when most people don't want an open bar.  Speaking of drinking, Celebrity has a premium drink package which includes unlimited alcohol which I feel encourages nonstop drinking.  Perhaps that's why we were never able to get a seat at the Martini Bar.

Disembarking was well done, but getting on the ship in the first place was confusing --  no one to help with parking or dropping off bags.  We ended up at the crews' entrance.

All in all, I don't plan on going on Celebrity again.  My sister says once you've been on Seabourne, you won't go less.  So that's my next cruise.

Felt a bit cramped.