First post-covid cruise

Carnival Vista Cruise Review

Cruises: 4-6 cruises

Overall rating:

Carnival Vista

7 Night Western Caribbean (Galveston Roundtrip)

Sail date: July 03, 2021

Ship: Carnival Vista

Cabin type: Inside

Cabin number: 7448

Traveled as: Singles/Friends

Review summary

I was in the Havana rooms. On Day 2, the pool was extremely cloudy and green. Day 3, it was cloudy. Day 4, it had a brown film. Finally they cleaned it on Day 5 and it was clean again. But ridiculous that a paid amenity was in worse shape than the other pools.

Embarkation

Embarkation was generally good. Lots of fanfare due to being the first cruise out, which caused a lot of crowds. But once it got going, it went pretty quick. One place to check vaccine cards, one to do check-in and then into the lounge to board.

Ship experiences

I thought the food was pretty good! Better than other lines. However, a few downsides: - Guy's Pig & Anchor was terrible. I love BBQ and this was just bad. - The buffet was small compared to other lines.

Not sure whether this is typical for Carnival or a symptom of post-covid life but I found there to be very few activities offered during the day. On other lines, I have found myself struggling to choose what to do. But on this cruise, I couldn't find a single thing to do before 6 pm when the comedy shows started.

Some of the comedians were great. Some were terrible. I wish the shows were of higher quality.

My waitstaff was phenomenal. Room steward was good. But the rest of the staff I came in contact with did not want to help with issues. At all

It was super clean and staff were constantly cleaning. However, this ship isn't my favorite. I didn't like how all the spaces were closed off and there wasn't good flow from the back to the front of the ship without going up and down stairs.

Ports of call

Belize City, Belize

Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

Galveston, Texas

Disembarkation

Hoo boy. This was a mess. We were 30 minutes late into port and it took 2 hours for non-priority to start getting off the ship!