Carnival Victory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Third Mate

Overall great cruise

Sail Date: April 03, 2016

I liked this ship (Victory) much better than the Imagination.

We also specifically picked this cruise because there was a long time at the ports and at least one day spent at sea with no ports.  I think this really contributed to my enjoyment of this cruise over previous cruises, where there was no dedicated day at sea and/or really short times spent at port.

Overall, good ship, great staff and great port experiences.  Thanks!

Cruise Photos

I handpicked our rooms this time (2456 and 2457), so that instead of just a porthole for an ocean view room, we each had a large window. The windows actually jutted out over the back of the ship, so it was a great view and you could make a window seat with the extra blankets/pillows in the room. These rooms were very spacious compared to the other rooms and had lots of closet space. But being on deck 2, you can really feel it rocking sometimes and you can hear the engine in the mornings when coming into port, etc.

The TVs are terrible. It's not just that they are box TVs; the picture is horrendous. I didn't really spend time watching TV, but the picture was so blurry/shaky/jumpy as to almost make you sick when trying to order services or review your sign and sail account
These both went very smoothly for us, although I would have preferred not to disembark at all.
On the ship, the serenity deck was really great - two separate decks with lots of space and a variety of chair/lounging options. However, it was located right next to the water slide entrance and other spaces frequented by children, so sometimes kids would wander in or just be noisy right on the other side of the wall. Also, on the last day, there was were some drunk adults that overtook the bar area and hot tub and were smoking even though this was a non-smoking area.

I would have liked to have a way to go through the ship on deck 5 without having to walk through the casino because the smoke was usually pretty thick there. It would be even better if smoking was not permitted in the casino.

The cleanliness was sometimes an issue. We don't think our rooms had been thoroughly cleaned before we went to them because we found several items apparently left over from previous occupants.
We did the open bar beach excursion in Freeport, which was great. It was raining when we arrived, but the weather cleared up fairly quickly. The staff was all really wonderful. Chairs were available when we arrived and they put out umbrellas if you wanted them. They were very attentive and came around very often to see if you needed anything and the drink options were great. There were some drink options not available on the open bar menu, which was a bummer. We didn't get the all-inclusive because we figured we could eat for free on the ship and that was a good call. The buffet didn't even open until about half the time for the excursion had passed and there was great local fare available for purchase at reasonable prices. We really loved the conch salad.

In Nassau, instead of purchasing an excursion, we made our own! We visited the Primeval National Forest Park. They weren't technically open, but we arranged it in advance, so they opened the park for us and provided a guided tour for just $15/person (and there is a self-guided option as well). Although we had to get our own taxi to the park, they even drove us back to the ship after the tour. Our park warden tour guide, Anwar, was great - very knowledgeable and personable. Although the park is basically an old growth forest with sinkholes (not the sort of excursion you typically think of when visiting the Bahamas), it was amazing and I think Carnival should really look into coordinating with the Bahamas National Trust to create an official excursion - it would be a different sort of option than all the Atlantis-based ones that they currently have and could actually benefit the country to promote awareness and also give some tourist dollars to the preservation organization.
We didn't go to very many shows this time. I felt that the Living in America show wasn't great - the female costumes were gratuitously skimpy. But the female vocal lead was particularly good.

Really liked AJ , the acoustic guitar guy who spent time on deck and in the atrium area. He had a great selection of song titles and a good vibe. The piano guy was good too.
For 3 out of 4 nights, we had Andrew as our head waiter and he was outstanding. Really friendly and great at anticipating what we needed or wanted. Also very entertaining and funny.
We did Your Time Dining, which we would not do again because there were unexpectedly long waits on some nights, we didn't get to meet new people at a large table (just seated by ourselves) and weren't guaranteed to have the same wait staff each night.

The food itself was generally amazing, especially at dinner. The warm chocolate melting cake was amazing as usual, but my new favorite is the grand marnier soufflé. I always love the salmon benedicts at breakfast, although the quality control on the buffet line wasn't great this time around. The first morning, I got one that was so overdone/had been waiting under the heat so long that the egg yolk was completely cooked and the hollandaise was crusty. But I brought it back and they replaced it for me without having to wait in the whole line again.
Port Canaveral, Florida
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
Make your own excursion to the Primeval Forest -- you might have to arrange it in advance, though.

Carnival should really look into coordinating with the Bahamas National Trust to create an official excursion to the Primeval Forest or their other parks. A great alternative to the Atlantis excursions and a way to give back to the country and fund preservation!