Good for a first time cruiser

Carnival Victory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

7 Night Southern Caribbean (San Juan Roundtrip)
Sail Date: May 15, 2011
Ship: Carnival Victory
This is a small ship (lacking specialty restaurants and other newer features) that is good for a first time cruiser. My first time on Carnival - have done Royal Carribean and Princess. Check in and disembarking was very quick and easy. The ports were good choices, however, I do not like to shop so the tacky exit through gift shop pier was annoying. The ship tours were a mixed bag and reasonable priced compared with local tours.
Most people seemed to just go with the flow - I was surprised that people were not as friendly/outgoing as on other cruise - they kept to themselves or their groups. I was traveling solo and surprised by lack of options to meet other travelers.

Breakfast was good - skip main buffet and go to the Triton Pool for the made to order eggs -shorter line than the main room. Lunch buffet was ok, I ended up at the burger grill because buffet was closed when I returned from excursions. Dinner (first seating) offered many selections to cover all tastes. Didn't like the extra charge for cookies or cake at the cafe. Lack of selection of fruit - would have liked to see fresh pineapple and berries rather than melons.

The comedy shows were fun and crowded each show. The main shows were horrible - the dancers fantastic and the only reason to go (sadly they can not do original dance) - the singers were painful and the shows quite silly with tired songs. There were gaps in time for activities so we wandered a bit waiting for the next event. They offer a behind the scenes tour for $50 when other ships do this for free. Art auction was run by ParkWest which has numerous lawsuits against them - surprised they were there. Best bet is always the gym with workout classes -$12 for yoga/pilates class and usually 5 or less people there -other classes free were good

The kids in our group -ages 4 and 9 rarely ate dinner with us as they had too much fun in the camp Carnival all week - they enjoyed the activities

Most staff were good - memorable were Louise, dining room hostess who worked with my food allergy each day; the breakfast chef from India at the Triton pool who made my eggs each day and Matt the assistant cruise director

Smaller ship with lots of entertainment choices throughout the ship in various rooms. The decor is a bit tired - the theme, colors and neon were very old.

Interior stateroom was a good size/layout. I was on Deck 1 midship and it was very quiet . The bathroom vanity was a powder 1980's pink but had nice toiletries and cabinet to hold items
we did a private tour from the internet and they put us with Gordon's Taxi Service - he was fantastic! he grew up in St. Kitts, lived in England for years and returned - he showed us the whole island and put it in context of growing up, raising his family, etc. -
I did the ship tour to St. John - it was a great tour - the local guide Chris toured us around the island in a small truck of 15 ppl
Don't Miss: St. John island tour -
Ship tour - Catamaran snorkel - it rained/cloudy at this port but the snorkeling was good -
I did the ship tour -Zipline Adventure which was fun but didn't tour Bridgetown at all
We did a private tour to the Pitons and a beach/snorkel visit

Pros: Quick check in, room size and the made to order breakfast

Cons: Entertainment/onboard activity options, charges for cookies/cake at cafe

Recommends Carnival Victory? No.