Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Fabulous Time

Sail Date: September 17, 2016

There are so many great things about the valor that I love, especially on an 8-day cruise (that I took). However let me sum it up as easiest as I can… the valor is just the right size!

I have been on small ship (RC Enchantment of the Seas), and I have been on Mega ship (Carnival Dream, RC Oasis), but I had never done a “medium” size ship. The Carnival valor is a “medium” size ship and I think I found what works best for me.

WHAT I LOVE: I found the size of the ship perfect. The hallways were never too long, I picked cabin 8215 (front-top of ship). Even when I had to make my way all the way to the very back of the ship this was only a couple minutes stroll. The problem with the mega ships is that to go from front to back takes a good 15-20 minutes without the crowds, and let’s be honest, on those mega ships there is always a crowd! ALSO the crowds were never bad at all. I was informed that ever room on the Valor had been occupied on my cruise and yet the lounges always had enough chairs, the dining room was well spaced with lots of room, the bars and entertainment areas were full but never over-full. There was NEVER once an announcement about “please squeeze together”. The crowd flow on the ship was perfect. Also getting on and off the ship was a breeze. Never a long queue to board the ship from the islands.

AREAS FOR IMPOVEMENT: I will not complain but there were a couple of areas that could be improved. The carpet in room 8215 was showing the early signs of being tatty 9September 2016). It was clean but showing wear and tear. Also there were early signs of touch up paint needing to be done. Very minor but if you looked close there were small paint cracks in some of the more populated area. Again, very tiny and to the average person you would not notice a thing. As a “cruiser” I noticed these very tiny details.

Cruise Photos

8215 Was good but on a scale of 1 – 10, it was a 8. It was clean, everything worked just fine but there were 2 small issues. Not the sort of thing I would complain about and raise a fuss. First is that to the left of the king size bed was a small tear in the carpet aprox 1-inch long. 2nd was that the drain in the bathroom was very slow. I did bring that to the attention of my cabin steward and he did report it but the sink, shower and emergency overflow drain (floor) was very slow. After a shower I found myself in a small pool of water. When brushing my teeth the sink would in fact drain, just slow. The room itself was the standard Carnival room.
I did not travel with any kids so for me they were excellent as I never had to use these areas!

The best hot tubs are in the deck 14 serenity area at the front of the ship. The “adults” who go there get it, that you are there to relax so everyone is kind and no drunken idiots to worry about. The hot tubs at the back of the ship are OK, but they are for everyone and I encountered young kids.