Carnival Triumph Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

First Time Cruiser, Now a Lifelong Cruiser!

Sail Date: July 23, 2016

Family of 4

2 Rooms

We decided to book a cruise as a birthday present to my son who was turning 16 to Cozumel and Progreso. I had heard so much about cruises prior to our trip by the day of our debarkation I was glad to finally see for myself what I had been missing.

Checking in- Rather smooth process. I'd compare it to an airport procedure. It didn't really take long maybe 30 minutes at the most of getting your passport reviewed, sodas checked, carry-ons  scanned, etc,.

Room- Fairly surprised at the room. We had two rooms; one with a king size bed and one with 2 twin beds (15 &16 year olds room). The rooms were fairly small but big enough to maneuver around for my wife and I. It was a nice setup. Two interior rooms. We didn't really spend much time in the rooms other than sleeping. *Sidenote I would bring clorox wipes to wipe down cabinets, shower, dresser drawers, bathroom floors. I thought my wife was going overboard until I assisted and saw all the dirt and germs for myself.

Food- The food was okay to good. Every morning there's a breakfast buffet that we enjoyed. Throughout the day there are different lines that open up til the evening time or for at least a few hours. We enjoyed Guy's Burgers mostly and the Pizza line that stayed open 24 hours. We participated in the captain's dinner, which was nice to get all dressed up as a family and eat while be served by waiters that put on a good show. This was done in the main dining hall. We only ate their once as we preferred the places where we could just stand in line and eat by a window overlooking the sea. From the conversations I had and overheard with the other passengers we really didn't miss out on anything by not eating in the dining hall.

Activities- On the ship their was a run down basketball court which kept my son and nephews attention, an overcrowded putt putt golf course, a ping pong table, a bean bag toss game, and a shuffle board area. There is actually a lot to do, whether its taking pictures, karaoke, comedy shows, marriage games, magic shows, watching movies on the deck, casino, or the arcade. We bounced around pretty much, just taking it all in.

Excursions- Best part of the cruise! Seeing and going on excursions in Cozumel. We went snorkeling! All I'll say is be careful. We almost drowned!!! We can swim but being in an ocean where you can see the bottom but not feel the bottom was a little overwhelming! The private beach with inflatables was cool. There were paddle boards and  kayaks for use. The bus tour of Progreso was interesting. We got to see the city up close and personal. We had probably the most fun at the private beach in Progreso where we had a water balloon fight in the water for like 20 to 30 minutes with the staff.

People- You're going to meet all kinds of people. My wife and I enjoyed our conversations with complete strangers. Every one was so friendly.

Leaving- CARRY OFF YOUR OWN LUGGAGE!!!! TRUST ME! We waited around for 2 hours waiting to be called off for checked luggage. Then they called all remaining floors which was crazy. If at all possible carry off your own luggage as you'll be first to leave the ship.

It served it's purpose. Our steward was awesome!!!!!

Travel in a small group. Saw large groups getting frustrated with wait times for dinner and excursions. Pack cleaning supplies. Bring a 12 pack of soda. Don't try to bring plastic water bottles or gatorade. They will be confiscated.