Very Rocky!

Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Cruises: 2-3 cruises

Overall rating:

Carnival Sunshine

8 Night Eastern Caribbean (Charleston Roundtrip)

Sail date: September 14, 2019

Ship: Carnival Sunshine

Cabin type: Inside

Cabin number: 7134

Traveled as: Family (older children)

Review summary

I would never take another Carnival cruise. This ship rocked everyday of our 8 day cruise. I know that weather can't be controlled but it didn't help that we endured 8 days . I didn't like the food on the buffet and loved the salad bar. The menu in the sunshine dining room needs to be changed each evening. We ate flat iron steak 5 times in a row because the other options were foods that we don't like. The things you could do on the ship were closed on some days because of the wind.

Embarkation

It was faster than I expected

Ship experiences

The buffet in the Marketplace was crowded. It was closed several times when we tried to eat. I think it should have the hours in several places. More people than seats. The food was close to being the same everyday. I loved the salad bar. I ate salads most of the time. The biscuits were so hard that you could have broken a window with them. I even tried pouring gravy over then and that didn't work. The gravy was thin and tasteless. The deli sandwiches would have been great if the bread wasn't so tough. We thought the menu in the sunshine dining room was pretty much the same every night. We ate flat iron steak 5 nights in a row. That was the only thing that appealed to us based on the other options. The servers were great every night.

My granddaughter and I went down the water slides. Then they shut them down because of the rocky ship.

We only show one show and we had to watch it on a TV. The only seats left were on the side of the stage. We ordered one drink which was over $11. The rest of the shows sounded like a waste of time to us.

no children

Our cabin steward was Astika. I can't say enough about him. He was on top of everything. We enjoyed talking to him.

We didn't like haven't to go through a smoke filled room ( casino ) to go to the dining room. Why don't ships design a room in the back of the ship or on another deck below. I also didn't like food being served on the pool deck and eating in a humid area ( Guy's ). I never so any dirt or messy areas. The crew were always working.

We thought that 3 people in that room was uncomfortable and so small that we almost had to sit on the bed so we could pass each other.

Ship tip

Pick another ship The other thing enjoyable was the crew.

Ports of call

Charleston, South Carolina

It looks like it could use some remodeling. The luggage was handled quickly straight from the shuttle bus.

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

I thought it was great. They had a backdrop sit up for photos. The area was clean and shopping was great. I just wish they had more things around the port other than shops. I found the Harley Davidson shop to be extremely high prices on a poker chip. Most places they are never over $3 . They wanted $5.

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

We loved walking to town. Our granddaughter loved the beach. We were upset with a shop owner that was very rude and hateful. With this exception we had a great time.

San Juan, Puerto Rico

We had expected more but when we got off the ship there was a 4 lane highway in front of us. I think it would have helped is they had signs showing which way to go for different tourist places. I guess we were thinking of gift stores closer to the exit from the ship.

Disembarkation

I was smooth and easy. They had crew posted on the different levels to guide guest to elevators