Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Great Cruise Director & Staff, Overpopulated & Chopped up Ship

Sail Date: June 06, 2015

Room Type: Suite

So, we just got back from an 8 day cruise aboard the Sunshine. I take an average of one cruise per year. This was the most . . . "unique" ship I've ever been aboard. On the positive side, the excursions for Turks & Caicos, St. Kitts and St. Maarten were all great. The cruise Director, Jaime was friendly and awesome. Now, for the unique parts, I wish I had known about beforehand.
1. The ship has apparently been refurbished & reorganized. This has caused a lot of dead ends as you try to travel around the cruise ship. You have to go up a level or two, then walk down to get to something that was located on the same level you started. Most of the time staff would tell us to go up to level 5 to traverse from one end of the ship to the other, which meant walking through the casino. So, if you have asthma or an aversion to cigarette smoke, this may be bit unhealthy or uncomfortable for you.
2. Before we cruised, I noticed the ship was smaller than one of my favorite Carnival cruise ships, but oddly had a "capacity" for way more people. Once aboard, I found out how this was made possible. Personal & public space is at a premium aboard the Sunshine. I normally stay in a Carnival suite. My suite aboard the Sunshine was the tiniest I've ever encountered. There were too many people crammed into the public spaces. For example, obtaining a seat at the comedy show required my family to stand in line for an hour because the Punchline comedy room is so small in comparison to the amount of people. Another example is the Lido and Serenity deck situation. On the first day we wanted to swim, but were disappointed to see both pools were full of more flesh than water. The next day, we got there earlier and still had to circle, hunt and stake out a comfortable deck chair. We really had to plan and time our pool time correctly to avoid the most overcrowded times.
3. With a ship being that overcrowded, you may find yourself retreating to your suite more often. Perhaps you may consider watching a movie or tv show within that comfort. However, we were often met with blank or dying channels. We were told this was because of satellite problems due to our location in the ocean. Luckily, we had a private balcony and spent most of our time out there.

Cruise Photos

There were too many people on board. Everything was overcrowded.
The cruise director, captain and staff did a great job handling a medical emergency and consequent coast guard heliport extraction that caused us to fall behind schedule. They unlocked Internet access to major airlines to help those of us who missed flights.
Everything was too crowded.
They added more rooms. Now, my suite was too tiny. The redesign caused a lot of dead ends and a very confusing layout. Getting from one end of the ship to another was often difficult. Staff would often tell us to do up to deck 5 and go through the casino then come back down to get to another location on the same floor where you started.