Carnival Splendor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Contributor Level: Second Mate

Wonderful Ship!

Sail Date: March 22, 2015

We had "faster to the fun", so were one of the first to be on the ship.  We had a wonderful lunch on the Lido Deck & headed down to our state room, which was ready & our suitcases were waiting  because of buying the "faster to the fun" pass.  We requested the beds to be put together ahead of time but they weren't so we pushed them together.  The room was very large with a huge counter to lay out all our stuff. I was concerned because we booked at the last minute & had a cabin on Deck 1 but I think it's one of the biggest cabins we have had & it was very quiet.  There were only cabins on that deck.

Loved the shows - I was getting sick of the comedy shows taking over other ships but this had some awesome singers & dancers on several nights.

I'm 62 but participated in the Dr. Seuss Parade along with my daughter & grandson.  It was fun to march around the ship holding Dr. Seuss characters & my daughter ended up participating in story time.  The Dr. Seuss breakfast is awesome.  It cost's an extra $5/person but well worth it.  The decorations were great & they had green eggs & ham, colored pancakes that were stacked up to look like the cats red & white hat, the kids had their pictures taken with characters - just a fun time for the last day before departing.

My only complaint was the cruise director. They have to have a bit of an ego to do their job but he was so arrogant.   At the end of story time he was having his pictures taken with several groups of girls so I told my grandson to go next to him when the last two girls were done so I could get a picture of them with Flat Stanley (a school project). The cruise director took one look at him & said "get off the stage". I started to tell him we wanted a picture of him with Flat Stanley for school & he totally ignored me & walked off.  He was standing In the customs area when we were leaving & asked how the cruise was.  I made the comment I couldn't believe he was talking to us now that we were leaving when he was rude to us before.  He started getting a little "uppy" & said he wasn't rude to anyone. I told him what happened & he said he told all the kids to get off the stage.  I told him he was up there having his picture taken at least 5 times in a row with little girls.  He said he didn't have pictures taken with anyone.  I just stared at him and asked why he was lying and walked off.  I didn't get to be 62-years-old by being bullied by an arrogant cruise director.

They also had pretty good food on this ship.  The dining staff was awesome (we ate in the Gold Pearl).  We did have a problem on the first night.  We were seated with a family of 8 & they kept cussing, making racial comments & one child ate the butter with a spoon out of the butter dish then had a temper tantrum kicking & screaming under the table.  We were moved the next night without any problems!

Everyone of the staff was great - bars, dining rooms, spa, service desk, stewards.

I would love to cruise on this ship again but it will be leaving in May to be home-ported out of New York.

Cruise Photos

Nice and clean and well decorated.
I usually don't like cruise food but I was able to find something to eat every meal.
With the exception of the cruise director.
Love the shows.
Nice people and good fun for my grandson.
Love tea time and the Dr. Seuss breakfast.
This room is huge! Good sized bathroom and plenty of space for clothes.
My daughter, grandson and I all pile in one bed when we cruise but the cabin steward said he couldn't connect the beds to make a king size like other ships so my grandson kept falling through the crack. I finally took a sheet & put it sideways across both mattresses, tucked it in tightly on both sides and the mattresses stayed together.
Miami, Florida
I think this has the cheapest prices and the best variety.
Belize City, Belize
Love Belize, the people are awesome.
Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
We went to the beach and swam. It looked like we were right next to the ship swimming.
George Town, Grand Cayman
Not one of my favorite places. My daughter had surgery on her foot and it was a long way for her to walk to shop or got to museums so we just looked around the few shops by the ship.

Enjoyed the wok bar but didn't have a good selection of sauces. Loved the brunch in the dining room. Relaxing to help you start the day.

1 Comment