Carnival Splendor Cruise Review to Mexico

Nice cruise

Sail Date: May 22, 2011

This is a very nice ship. It has everything you need and more. If you're looking to soak up the sun at the pool, however, you'll be very, very disappointed. The pool in our backyard is bigger than that thing. Add 100 screaming kids and you get the idea. Like to exercise? Forget it. The walking track is so small you feel like a hamster in a cage going round-n-round. It does have a work out room -- but it's small and smells like pure BO and sweat.

Pros: Tremendous value

Cons: Average ports, food (at times), and ship activities

Recommends Carnival Splendor? Yes!

I felt I was at a high school show(s) most of the time. The Carnival dancers/singers are so bad at times it's almost funny. They try hard, but please. I've heard better singers in high school. There's not a lot of activities on this ship so bring a book or two. You're going to get bored by the end of the cruise.
At times the food was exceptional (the Pinnacle Steakhouse was to die for!) but other times very, very average "cafeteria" food. Overall though you'll find something good to eat and you certainly won't go away hungry.
The rooms have everything you need. We had a balcony and enjoyed it. The bathrooms are tiny and very cheap looking, but get the job done.
Super clean ship. They're constantly cleaning it to perfection.
Exceptionally trained and organized staff. I don't know how they do it.
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
I was really disappointed in Cabo. Perhaps my expectations were to high. But it's so dry and ugly. It has a lot of fun water activities, but that's about it. We have always wanted to go to Cabo and thought this would be a good opportunity to test it out -- we won't be going back.
Don't Miss: Rent a water taxi for $8 and go to the arch -- they'll drop you off and pick you up whenever you want without paying big $$$ for a "tour".
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
I have no idea why this stop is on the route. It seems like an afterthought. I was very disappointed in PV. We did a 6 hour town tour so we got to see the best and worst of the city. There's really nothing exciting about this place. Sure there's the usual Tequila factories and silver store rip-offs, but really, this is a small town that doesn't offer much in terms of a "vacation". If you want to see some authentic Mexico culture, PV is a start, but I would hardly even say it qualifies for "authentic" as is economy is driven by the cruise-ship industry and tourism.