Carnival Miracle Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Western Carib. Great as Usual

Sail Date: February 17, 2009

This was my 5th time aboard the Miracle. I did cruise here when she was brand new and after about 6 years, she is starting to look like she needs some yard time. Actually after we disembarked, she was going into the yard but for only 2 weeks for a propulsion problem. She was, however, clean and as gawdy as always. I love this ship, especially the Mad Hatter Lounge.

Food, cabin service, and crew were all wonderful, with the possible exception of the dining room. We happened to have some slavic servers, and although very efficient, that race, just is not nearly as personable as the Asians. The dining room experience seemed rushed, business like and although friendly, not as I am accustom to with the staff from the Philipenes and that area.

Having done this cruise many times, we did not take advantage of any of the excursions, however we did rent a golf cart from Costa Maya Tours, Otto is great, and went to a little fishing village for the day. What a great day, for a very nominal fee, reduced due to the rental of the cart, we had food and an open bar all day. Hmm did have a GREAT time. Our waiter was so efficient, we received fresh cocktails whenever the ice had melted. We tipped him pretty good.

Additionally, there was a Massage tent set up and my wife and I enjoyed a wonderful seaside massage for a great price. I highly recommend this place. It was called Tequila Beach Resort.

Back on board, we enjoyed some Karaoke, the funnel deck and pool. We do wish Carnival would bring back the closed funnel deck for clothing optional sun bathing. We keep asking on our comment cards, but so far, its wide open, with no signage to keep children away. Its still pretty much a topless area, but sometimes it can be embarassing for the women when some young boys show up.

The ship departed on time and due to the fact that we are VIP level cruisers, we were on board at 1130 am and off the ship and back home from Ft. Lauderdale to Sarasota FL by 11 am the last day. It was GREAT!

Customs was a breeze as it usually is in Ft. Lauderdale as well. They have it down to a science.

Our Cabin had an extended balcony which made for a wonderfully relaxing space outside without the crowds up on deck.

Unlucky in the Casino, but maybe next time. The shows were the same old thing, however the late night comics were super.

Lastly, Laurie, the Piano bar player in Sams Lounge was just great!. Entertaining, somehow remembered everyones names and made that venue such fun. We ended up there nearly every night.

Overall A great Cruise.

On the downer side, however, it seems Carnival has eliminated the last grand tradition. First the eliminated the midnight buffets, opting for one station of the Lido dining to be open. Now they have eliminated the Grand Buffet which was always held one night during the cruise. I find this a disappointment. Those buffets, in my opinion, were what separated cruising from any other form of vacation. Only difference was this hotel floats...

Pros: An Awesome Day in Costa Maya

Cons: Seems that Carnival has done away with the last of the Cruising Traditions - Grand Buffet!

Recommends Carnival Miracle? Yes!

Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
In the main narrative I told about the golf cart rentals the Tequila Beach Resort. Its GREAT. Contact Otto, at Costa Maya tours. Google golf cart rentals costa maya and you will find them.
Don't Miss: Golf Cart Rentals and Tequila Beach.
Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
My first visit to Roatan was back in 2003 and there was virtually nothing there. At the time the only excursion was a government owned beach outing and some GREAT snorkling. Now several years later, the small cruise port at the dock is nearly complete and I expect in a few more years, this will be another great destination.
Don't Miss: Some of the best snorkling in the area.
Belize City, Belize
Been to Belize many times and have done most of the super excursions, my favorite being the cave tubing. This time we went ashore only for lunch to The Wet Lizard bar and grille. Added yet another year to my comments written in marker on the ceiling of the deck, and had a super lunch with some Belizian beer. YUM
Don't Miss: Cave Tubing
We always love Cozumel. For the shopping, the fun of bartering with the locals and for the tequila...grin., This trip we took the ferry over to Playa del Carmen for a change. There is a bar over there with swing style stools and great Margaritas.,..You have to check it out.