Carnival Legend Cruise Review to Transatlantic

Third Mate

I only went on Carnival for the unusual itinerary, not sure if I would do it again.

Sail Date: September 25, 2013

I went knowing Carnival was not really the line for me, but I loved the itinerary.  I might go on Carnival again for an itinerary like this, but nothing less.  15 night-London/Dover, Dublin, Greenock (for Glasgow), Belfast, Reykjavik-Iceland, Q-town (cant spell it)-Greenland, (Plus we saw the northern lights and did an extra fjord cruise), St Johns-Newfoundland and New York City.  Enjoyed all the ports.  Not much point going to Greenland as we could only tender to a small village and could not tour beyond the village...but still a country I did not expect to have on my bucket list (or Iceland).  I think Carnival should have made it clear that we were not going to see anything of Greenland. Ships public room decor is just plain garish, pattern after pattern, color after color, and and so many blinking lights and reflections all in one room.  Dancing and singing in dining room is embarrassing and infantile. Why would anyone think I would like a waiter waggling his napkin stuffed chest or his buttocks in my face.You can only avoid it by not eating in the dining room.  Virtually no info given for ports and transportation.  No excuse for this.  I could have put together a map and highlights off the internet.  Whoever checked out these ports to make the itinerary for the cruise could have done it.  As a passenger I am offended to be treated so poorly.  Entertainment was poorly done and boring. Poor lecturer.  Library tiny and rarely open. Days at sea had almost no activities.  I was amazed at the dress of the passengers.  No country club casual here.  Mostly faded old jeans and t-shirts-even in the dining room.  Lots of negatives for me, but doubt I am the typical Carnival passenger.  I was pleasantly surprised by the food in the dining room (especially the excellent soups) and the Lido.  Although the food in the Lido at night was poor (very few choices and not fresh).  You already know that I loathe the exhibitionistic dancing and singing in the dining room.  I hate karaoke, but it is suprerior to the antics in the dining room, which interrupt a pleasant adult dinner.  Considering the garish decor in the public rooms our balcony cabin was orange and wood but thank god restrained.  Smallest balcony I have ever had.  Barely room for 2 sit up chairs and a tiny table.  Mini bar gives off quite a bit of heat, made it hard to keep the room from being way too hot, even with the balcony door propped open.  All the service staff were great, considering they didnt have much to work with.  The cruise director talked and talked and talked, rarely giving any information and hosted with the assistant cruise director a morning show where they insulted each other, used innuendos, and hit each other.  Should have been a time to share info about the ports, things going on the the ship.  It was too unpleasant to watch.

If Carnival had another great itinerary I might do it again, but really prefer the atmosphere, amenities, and attitude on Princess, Celebrity or Holland America.

No line's food is consistently good. I was pleasantly surprised. Good thin crust pizza, asian, and meat on the Lido. Desserts always looked great and except for the chocolate melting cake were consistently not worth tasting.
Just fine not exceptional in any way. Lots of towel animals. Never could hear announcements.
Very pleasant, except the cruise director.
Poor quality entertainment and very few activities offered. No newspaper digest.
Children's Programs dont know
Very few offered especially on sea days, when there should be lots. Other cruise lines have special lectures, special classes, special meals. Craft classes was it and they were kinda sad.
Great itinerary, Carnival could have been a lot more helpful with information.
Dover (London), England Carnival transfers left to late to have time to look around Dover, I would have liked to see it.
Dublin, Ireland
Great town, huge variety of things to see, did hop off and on bus tour..worked great. recommend Queen of Tarts for lunch.
Greenock (Glasgow), Scotland
Good drive from the port to Glasgow, we were tired so we looked around Greenock which has quite a bit of interesting history...could have been provided by carnival but was not.
Belfast, Northern Ireland
great Titanic museum and hop on hop off bus tour. lots to see
Reykjavik, Iceland
Hard to choose what tour to take, if you did the blue lagoon thats all you did so we did the golden circle. Water falls, geysers and country side. Absolutely terrible guide spoiled a lot of that trip.
Qaqortoq, Greenland
All you see is a little village so quite misleading that you are "seeing" anything of Greenland. Town put on little singing and dancing performances. Think it should have been more sightseeing or replaced by another country...
St. John's, Newfoundland
Pleasant but not much here, better to go to Halifax or Newport, or Boston
New York, New York
Get up early to see the ship go by Statue of Liberty and all the lights of Manhattan

Be sure that the Carnival experience is for you before you book.

1 Comment