Carnival Legend Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

7night Western Carribean

Sail Date: May 16, 2010

We took the Carnival Legend for the 7 night Western Carribean (Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Isla Rotoan) cruise. My husband's first cruise, my 5th. We had a wonderful time and the itinerary was just the right pace - not rushed and not boring. We read reviews of the ship and the decor was as expected; an older ship with a greek mythology theme. At 80% capacity, the ship didn't feel "over booked". Our consultant, Justin, recommended wonderful excursions and we weren't disappointed. Exceptional value for the price!

Pros: Service was outstanding

Cons: Decor is a bit dark and gaudy

Recommends Carnival Legend? Yes!

5+ stars for cleanliness, the older decor seemed gaudy at first. It might be appreciated by an older crowd (we're in our 40's). It's an older ship but was in great condition and easy to learn layout.
As good as any I've had on any cruise with any cruiseliine. I was disappointed that the baked alaska on the final formal night wasn't brought in flaming by waiters as a "show piece". We were told they stopped that a while back because of safety concerns. It arrived sliced and plated without the "flammbe" Wait staff service was excellent and food arrived hot and cooked to order every time.
We had a deck 8 balcony with room enough for 2 chairs and a small table. Ample room to move around and store suitcases with plenty of hanging closet space as well as drawers/shelves for folded items. TV was larger than some cruises we've been on. Hotel style amenities were available (soap,shampoo, toothpaste, etc) at no charge. That was a nice touch.,
Some of the best customer service we've seen - attentive, professional staff. Bartender remembered my husband's favorite drink each night which made him feel "special" on a cruise with 2500 people! I was to meet my husband at the steakhouse for dinner and couldn't zip my dress - the (female) room sterward offered to help without being asked. She came to my rescue! lol
Comic was hysterical - "family" show at 7 and an R rated version later. Shows were typical cruise but very lavish given the stage size limitations (not the smallest I've seen but not the biggest either). First time I've done the towel folding activity and they actually gave you towels to fold along with the cruise director rather than just sitting and watching. Very impressed with that! Made it a whole lot more fun!
Belize City, Belize
we chose a snorkeling excursion that picked us up at the ship and dropped us back at the ship. We'd read about the poverty in Belize City and didn't want to deal with that.
Don't Miss: scuba or snorkel barrier reef
Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
We avoided the man-made beach and opted for the excursion to the natural Maya Key. 10 minutes from port by boat. It was secluded, quiet, and naturally beautiful. The included buffet lunch was outstanding island cuisine! A nature preserve on the key offered a chance to see animals being rehab'd (in cages) and a chance to talk with the preserve staff about the ecology of the area. Probably wouldn't interest the 20 somethings but anyone 30+ will enjoy the setting.
Don't Miss: Maya Key
George Town, Grand Cayman
The port was set up for the tourists. The "original" Guy Harvey shop with studio was well worth the visit. Only a 5 minute walk from the port. Harley Davidson We were hoping to find Harley Davidson tee shirts but the HD shop was a disappointment. It was apparell only and didn't have much to pick from especially in the Women's dept. Otherwise, it was a typical island.
Don't Miss: Guy Harvey
Typical caribbean port. Cheap tee shirts and tourist trinkets.
Don't Miss: Mexican Vanilla (for baking and cooking) is flavorful, cheap and can't be bought in the US