Carnival Legend Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

2nd Honeymoon Cruise

Sail Date: June 13, 2010

First cruise in 20 years and had a HORRIBLE honeymoon on Norwegian then so we were leary coming into this! Picked Carnival for the itinerary and the price...AND the age of the ship. We were pleasantly was larger than expected...people were super nice and helpful although many speak broken English. Food started out below average (I have read many negative reviews about the food) but each day got better in quality. Ports were amazing... overall a good experience FINALLY after so many of our friends have had wonderful cruises!

Pros: Itinerary...staff...layout of the ship

Cons: Food was average...balcony was NOT private

Recommends Carnival Legend? Yes!

The food in the Unicorn cafe was average to above average. Some needed to be warmer...some needed to be just plian better (I did NOT prefer the pizza). But each day the quality got better both in the Unicorn cafe and in the Main Dining Room. We ate ALL dinners in the main Dining Room (well worth it!) Lobster Tail, Prime Rib (done superbly) even Chateaubriand...I usually ordered two appetizers and the whole experience was great. We missed lunch every day in the Main Dining Room due to being on shore or gambling! Breakfast in the Main Dining Room was the same menu each day but very good. We visited the steakhouse one night and I will vote for OUTSTANDING; the food quality and portions were second to none although I still wonder why I had to drop 60 to eat like that ; why wasn't that the Main Dining Room quality??
The shows are not my thing but I did end up seeing three and they were very good for a cruise ship. We are NOT talking Broadway quality BUT the live musicians in the Pit were VERY accomplished. Watch for them in the Jazz lounge on the way to the Main Dining Room ...they played at least four nights for the line that forms outside the dining room at the 8:15 seating.
Room was oversized in my opinion. Queen sized bed , couch , desk , ample closet and drawer space for my wife's dresses and my suits and all other essentials...
The staff, as expected, was professional , very nice, smiling every day, and our cabin steward Sergie, was an INCREDIBLY hard worker. The Dining Room staff was equally attentive. The whole staff was influential in our high ratings.
Layout was easy to learn and logical ... many options for lounging with a drink and dining. Room (8272) was larger than expected but balcony had NO privacy and yes, a drink (only one ) was dumped over the pool deck railing from the Adult's Only pool above while sitting on our patio. But we only used the patio for picture taking for the most part.
We took the Mayan Ruins of Tulum tour through Carnival. Very HOT inland, and somewhat controlled by the Mexican government (the tour bus ONLY stoped at the GOVERNMENT rest stop) but if you are into a little History, the Ruins are BEAUTIFUL!
George Town, Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman....very Americanized but the beach, none the less, was beautiful. And an aspect that might be overlooked was the variety of international travelers that I met on the beach. It is NOT just a cruise ship trap.
Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
Took the Carnival Dolphin experience and it was worth the price of admission! To be in the water touching and petting and being photographed with the dolphins was priceless. Yes you had to purchase THEIR pictures for $40 but you could also bring your own camera for free.
Belize City, Belize
GO TO GOFF KAY ...and snorkel!!! Enough said!!