Carnival Horizon was unimpressive

Carnival Horizon Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Carnival Horizon

6 Night Western Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)

Sail date: February 02, 2020

Ship: Carnival Horizon

Cabin type: Oceanview

Cabin number: 1310

Traveled as: Large Group

Review summary

If you want to pay for poor customer service, marginal food choices and lackluster port excursions then travel with Carnival cruise line. Otherwise choose another cruise line.

Embarkation

The process was so unorganized and chaotic. We cruised with Royal Caribbean last year and the embarkation was seamless. I was expecting the same experience and I got far less.

Ship experiences

Marginal at best. The buffet had very limited options. It's 2020 and these cruise lines should have vegan options that are free. I was able to get a vegan meal in one of the specialty restaurants but I had to pay for that. Service in the main dining room was so disappointing, not so much for the food but the service. Speaking with one of the waiters they explained the constant delay in getting out orders taken and receiving our food was due to the fact that they were short staffed. apparently Carnival has 1 waiter serving 3 tables, whereas in the past it was 2 waiters per table. That slow service made for a bad experience.

I went to one and a half shows and that was enough for me.

Wait staff took far too long to take orders and provide food. I did not know you had to request morning and evening cleaning services for our state room. we left the room at 9 am and came back at 4:30 pm and the room still wasn't clean. after complaining to guest services I learned I had to request that the stateroom attendant clean the room morning and night, that's just nonsense. It wasn't just me, all the folks in my party experienced the same bad service.

First day we arrived found trash in our room and had to kill a roach.

will never cruise with Carnival again.

Ship tip

Don't travel with Carnival, poor service, lackluster excursions.

Ports of call

Ocho Rios, Jamaica

we did the big 3 excursion: chair lift, mystic mountain and zip-lining. This should not have taken 4.5 hours, but it did because the zip-lining is short staffed. you had to keep taking the chair lift back and forth to do anything. waste of time.

George Town, Grand Cayman

we did the ATV and beach club excursion. ATV was fine but the beach club was awful. a run down facility, with a dirty pool, bad overpriced food and again lackluster service. because we're tourists they decide to just take advantage and Carnival should know better. another reason not to take another Carnival cruise.

Disembarkation