Typical mediocre Carnival cruise

Carnival Glory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western
Helpful Vote: 1

Carnival Glory

7 Night Western Caribbean (New Orleans Roundtrip)

Sail Date: June 30, 2019

Ship: Carnival Glory

Reviewed: 12 days ago

Review Summary

I had taken two prior cruises on Carnival and did not plan to do so again but went because it was a family cruise. Again I found the ship overall mediocre at best compared to my experience on Royal Caribbean and Holland America. I really do not plan to sail with Carinival again unless I win a free cruise and even then with some reluctance. I do want to try some other cruise lines that I have not yet tried.

Embarkation

had to muster outside in heat and humidity for a very long time. almost passed out

Ship Experiences

Dining room staff and most lido staff were great. Food selection on the lido was very poor for me as a person who likes simple plain food. Most were prepared with stuff that I wouldn't eat. Royal Caribbean and Holland America were much better for me. also standing in long line for omelets. Royal Caribbean gives you a number and they bring it to you when ready.

Didn't do much. I usually gamble a little at the casino but did not as there was not a no smoking area. In fact cigarette smell was all over deck 5 where the shops were put as well as the casino. You could also smell smoke around the middle elevator area due to casino smoke. Needs to be vented better.

The shopping agent Jordan was great. Several main dining waiters were great including Elena from Macedonia and her assistant Nathaniel were great. A few others whose names I can't remember. Mustafa the maitre d was great. On the lido dining Daniel from Columbia, Svetlana from Macedonia and some others were great. A lot were only so-so. Also the room steward was very good.

The ship was clean for the most part. The casino was not properly vented so there was smoke smell over a lot of the ship areas even on other decks. Putting the shops on the same floor as the casino was stupid as there was a lot of smoke smell there. Selection in the general items store was very poor. For example there were several laxatives but no anti diarrhea medicines.

The cabin was fairly good overall but only had one outlet for charging cell phones or laptops or whatever you needed to do. Royal had several, 5 if I recall correctly. The tv was fairly small and not focused very well. channel selection was poor. Only news was liberal cbsn. The remote did not work real well either.

Go on Royal Caribbean or Holland America or possibly some other line instead.

Ports Of Call

New Orleans, Louisiana

embarking was good as far as the port, not the ship. Disembark was ok except for pick up area for your baggage when you are trying to load it into car. No excursion.

Montego Bay, Jamaica

Had to take a bus at extra expense to get to the shops. Did not take an excursion

George Town, Grand Cayman

Shops were laid out well. Did not take an excursion. Did not like having to take tenders however.

Docked away from the downtown area where a lot of local shops are located. The gangway was also fairly long. Shops were good. Did not take an excursion

Disembarkation

ok as far as the ship. The only bad part was getting bags into car. Police made us park way ahead of where we were told to wait even though no other vehicles were behind us.