Poor Care from the Medical Team

Carnival Freedom Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Carnival Freedom

7 Night Eastern Caribbean (Galveston Roundtrip)

Sail date: March 04, 2017

Ship: Carnival Freedom

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 8457

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

I want to start by saying that my husband and I love Carnival, and have previously gone out of our way to give positive reviews of all of our trips...and there have been many. However, this particular trip was quite disheartening. Due to rough waters and wind we were unable to stop at the first port in Key West; however, my husband and I both recognize that safety comes first and so we were content with the fact that the captain made the best decision for the passengers and his crew. The rough wind and waves is what caused many passengers including myself to become extremely sick. I woke up Tuesday morning around 5 am, and was so violently ill that I fainted in my stateroom bathroom hitting the shower surround as I fell, which caused me to bust my lip open top and bottom, and bruise under my chin from my ear line all the way to my throat and down my chin. My husband was concerned that I fractured my jaw because I was in so much pain, so he called emergency services from our cabin phone. First it took several minutes to get through, although medical services was empty, and when we did get through they were quite put out because I could not walk down to the Medic bay from my stateroom on deck 8 due to severe weakness. Medic finally brought a wheelchair, and once we reached the Medic bay, I was greeted by a less than enthusiastic nurse. She crossed her arms, looked at me and once I explained what had happened to me she stated, ( "Well, if I get the doctor it will be very expensive, you just have motion sickness. I might as well give you something since you got me out of bed anyway.") That was a direct quote. I was shocked that she didn't even take the time to look at my injuries to assess my condition, much less verify that I had not done further damage that may have caused me problems later. My husband got extremely angry and told her to "Go back to bed, we don't need your help". I was in extreme pain, and weak but could not help but cry as I sat there feeling humiliated for even being there. The nurse apologized saying we had "misunderstood" her; however, we did not. My husband and I understood perfectly that she did not appreciate being pulled out of bed to assist an injured passenger. This was extremely unfortunate. I went back to my stateroom and ended up resting for most of the remainder of the trip, leaving the room for short walks around the ship to try and make myself feel better. This was an awful experience that I hope no one else goes through. Being injured is not the way you would expect to spend your long awaited vacation, much less being mistreated by the staff you would hope would protect you 100% if something goes wrong. By the way, My husband and I ALWAYS purchase the vacation insurance, and have NEVER once had to use it, Thank G-d; so the expense of my injury was of no issue to us, we just wanted to make sure nothing major had been damaged, like my jaw etc.. This review is not all bad; however, as we encountered some of the very best wait staff during our late dining in the Posh dining room ever! Eduardo, Sadok, and Mary Grace were amazing, and we made lifelong friends with each and every one of them. They were attentive, and compassionate, and every single night made sure that I ate something due to me being so ill...even if it was not on the menu, they brought it to me, without me even asking! Soup, crackers, anything they thought would help me feel better! Sadok went out of his way to explain the menu each night due to food avoidances that my husband and I have ( we do not eat Pork), and Eduardo and Mary Grace made sure that I was comfortable each night. We made sure to go down every night to dinner no matter how I felt, because we were made to feel so welcome and truly cared about. This is the level of care and consideration that we are used to receiving from each and every Carnival cruise we take.

Ship experiences

Sadok, Mary Grace, and Eduardo in the Posh Dining Room during late dining were the very best wait staff we have ever had! Kind, attentive, and compassionate, they truly made our trip brighter...Thank you!

Due to the change in itinerary, not much change was made to the onboard activities in order to accommodate an extra day at sea.

NA - No children with us on this cruise.

Our Cabin steward Ida was amazing, so friendly and helpful, and our Dining staff were amazing! However, as mentioned in detail above, the Medic bay staff if terrible, so unkind and treated my husband and I terribly.

Wonderful cabin with a large balcony...a bit dated, but clean.

Ports of call

Galveston, Texas

Key West, Florida

We did not stop due to strong wind and waves.

Freeport, Grand Bahama Island