Carnival Freedom Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

You get what you pay for

Sail Date: June 27, 2015

The saying you get what you pay for is definitely true. I had talked a friend into trying Carnival vs. the usual Cruise line they travel with, because of the price.  Overall it was a good experience; however, my friend was use to a more elegant experience. There was an issue with one of our excursions and I was less than satisfied with the help received. The front desk customer service area was always busy and the staff was not the most friendly on board.  It was great having a Kisok to help with your account so you were actually able to "self help".  Spa staff were AMAZING! Cruise director and staff were AWESOME!  Hamburgers at Guy's Burgers were fantastic. We were disappointed with the menu in the main dining room and opted for Buffet or room service 3 of the 7 nights, ate Burgers many times, breakfast in the dining room was quite enjoyable, especially Brunch on at Sea days where we indulged and had Steak and eggs.  We took advantage of the teatime each day it was offered and enjoyed the experience but don't expect loose leaf tea only tea bags on this cruise with limited selection. Shopping on board the ship was very limited, not much of a selection.  Serenity Adult only lounge area was a nice break.  You have to be 21 to enter here!  The gym was well equipped and comparable to other cruises I've taken. The embarkation process was simple and disembarkation was smooth and I was pleasantly surprised with the ease.  I chose to check my luggage and allow the stewards to take it off the ship for me.  This process was easy. On past cruises I took my luggage off so as to be in the first group to disembark.  I will never again do that, because the process of finding our luggage and getting someone to help us with it was so easy even though we were in group 7, we were off the ship and through customs in just a few moments.  Again, you get what you pay for.  I mean your on a cruise how bad can it be.  BUT...If I am going on a cruise with kids I'll choose Carnival but if it's an adult only trip, probably not.

Main dining was not as good as expected but burgers and burritos exceeded my expectations. Breakfast was good as well.
Antionette, Wee Jimmy, Kris with a K were my favorite people on board. Also the spa staff especially the manager were very pleasant.
Karaoke was so much fun. The main shows were pretty good. I didn't much care for the last night's show but the rest of the week was good.
Children's Programs Didn't have any kids with me on this trip
Average selection
Jamaica was great. Love the Kayak and Canopy. Grand Cayman didn't do an excursion because there just really isn't that much to choose from. Cozumel we had a problem and I was extremely disappointed with how it was handled and the port area is nice but very commercialized. I won't be back to Cozumel for awhile.
Nice ship
The easiest both getting on board and off! They know what they are doing here!
Our Cabin steward was wonderful. Always attended quickly to our needs.
Galveston, Texas
Hotels in the area that are park and cruise are expensive. We opted to stay a little further out (over by NASA) and use the parking at the port. Saved a lot of money doing it this way.
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Good shoes are a must for the excursions on this beautiful island.
George Town, Grand Cayman
If you are not doing an excursion here. Sleep in and get off the boat a few hours after everyone else. Shopping is close so you won't miss out on the bargains but you will miss crowds standing in line for a tender boat. Make sure to beat the crowd back on the boat as well.
Either book a late excursion or not one at all. It took a long time for them to clear our ship so that we could begin getting off. By the time we were allowed to get off we had missed our excursion time. Cut our shopping and beach time out completely.

Go to the front desk or any bar and get an extra copy of what is going on that day! It was great having this handy. Take advantage of the poolside movie, but get there early to get a lounge chair and popcorn.