Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Fantastic Family Vacation

Sail Date: June 20, 2015

Traveled As: Family w/young children

We have been taking beach house vacations to North Carolina/Virginia for the last few years and we wanted a beach vacation w/o the hassle of packing up car, renting a house and cooking meals.  This gave us the best of a beach vacation and all the fun time for both Mom, Dad and our kid.  We knew we were booking booking an older ship so we were not expecting a five star ship - but the memories made, the activities and the great staff made this a fantastic trip. We'll do it again and we'll book a larger ship the next time.

Fernando (bald) in the dining room was amazing. He was fun, friendly, attentive. He would do magic tricks for our 5 1/2 yr old. Marcela who greeted us everyday was wonderful. We also like Cappy. Again - everyone was fantastic. We preferred to eat in the dining room in the evening and we typically requested Fernando. I am not a big buffet person - but for an easy lunch by the pool the food worked well.
Everyone was so very friendly and worked so hard to make our vacation a pleasant one.
Entertainment I did not attend the shows - but our daughter loved the kids program
I first started cruising when I was a young and I wanted my daughter to experience the fun of the kids club. To quote her "it was the best vacation ever" She is only 5 1/2 and she loved the younger kids program. In the future we'll pick a larger ship which has more of separate kids outdoor space. Although she did use the pool and the slide - I'd prefer a more separate area for her and kids her age. The main pool was just more of a place for adults to drink, hang out and float.
Great kids club... we spent a lot of time on deck relaxing and/or soaking in the pool.
The town of Grand Turk was disappointing... I was not expecting how 3rd world the "downtown" was.. The beach area was okay... but crowded, I think it should have been explained that if you did not do a tour that you should stay by the ship.
The ship is obviously an older ship and priced accordingly. The next time we will look for one of the newer ships that has more pools for our young daughter to play in...
The ship was older so I knew what to expect and I was not expecting a luxury room. The toilet often smelled of sewer and the stall itself was yellowed and aged, I've been on newer ships and I know that advances over time have helped with the sewage smell.

On the other hand - our cabin room steward was incredible (Oakley) and he always kept it clean. Great staff and great experience overall.
Charleston, South Carolina
the debarkation process was a little frustrating... The town of Charleston was beautiful (even in light of the very sad circumstances that happened in town) Our hearts go out to the citizens of the town
Grand Turk Island
Do not venture into town w/o an organized tour. Although people are nice... there is not much to do. It is a very poor country.
Nassau, Bahamas Take the Blue Lagoon tour if you have kids... good beach day for young ones.

Next time - we will pick a newer ship. When we booked this vacation we knew that it was not going to be one of your top-of-the line ships so we were not expecting all the bells and whistles... For our money and the joy it brought our daughter it was a great vacation. We'll cruise again w/Carnival