Carnival Elation Cruise Review to Mexico

Save your time, Save your money

Sail Date: December 24, 2007

I have never taken the time to write a review on a vacation I took, but this time I want to write if it means just one person will save their money and avoid this cruise. I am not one who likes to complain but quite honestly this is the worst vacation I've ever taken.

Pros: Many nice people from around the country

Cons: Food

Recommends Carnival Elation? No.

The Ship: The Carnival Elation is an older ship. It is not large by todays new standards. Age definately begins to show through much of the ship. While it is clean, it could definately stand to have a refit.
The Food: Everyond always raves about the food. Be prepared for food you would find at your local Sizzler or buffett. The steaks were small, thin, grilled to a grey color. Only A-1 sauce made it edible. There is breakfast, lunch and dinner in the dinning rooms. Often the menu consists of what sounds like high end items, but ends up being cheap and bland (e.g. steaks). If you miss the dinning time be prepared to eat hot dogs and hamburgers from the grill.
Small, cramped and not the cleanest.
Nice people.. I have no complaints about friendliness. On a side note: be prepared for rude security guards at the Port of San Diego. I had contact with several and they were terrible.
One dance club basically. They try to calle each room a different club but it is all the same. Be prepared to smell cigarette smoke while you dance.
Shore Excursions: Carnival recommends that you only go through their people to book shore excursions. They say that this will keep you protected as the companies they go through have had background checks and insurance. What they don't tell you is that instead of booking through the excursions desk just book it when you arrive in port from the company that deals with carnival. Same great shore excursions and you've cut out the middleman and their price increase. We did the swim with dolphins excursion. It was a great time but pricey. We made the mistake of booking through the cruise line and paid much much more than the people who just walked up. The threats that the shore excursion will be all full are just scare tactics.

Ports: Cabo and Ensenada are pretty similar. Be prepared for begging and offers of cheap jewelry.