Carnival Destiny (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

A great girl's cruise

Sail Date: September 15, 2011

I have not been on the Destiny in 2 years and it is beginning to show some wear and tear and could use a refurbish. I like this boat because of its size, however, the amenities offered on this 4 day cruise as opposed to the 5 day cruise I took on the Inspiration earlier this summer leave the Destiny lacking.

Pros: The port of call, Cozumel

Cons: The food at breakfast (buffet or dining room)

Recommends Carnival Destiny (RETIRED)? Yes!

The boat itself is wonderful, however, it really does need a refurb as the carpet is worn and many of the metal fixtures are showing their age.
Dinner in the Galaxy dining room was very good, however, breakfast is atrocious. I did not have a "hot" breakfast any day that I was on the boat. We tried both the dining room and the buffet and getting a piece of toast that was more than tepid was impossible. The eggs are of poor quality and are tolerable in an omelette but no way else. The french toast was good but again, not hot enough to even melt the butter. We did not eat lunch on the boat.
Our balcony cabin was very clean, our cabin steward terrific and we used the balcony a lot.
the music entertainment aboard was great. The day at sea did not have a lot of activities in the afternoon hours. The comedians were very funny (especially during family hour). I was disappointed because in the cruise advertisement it shows an outdoor movie on the pool deck at night. This did not happen; the movie was shown in the Criterion Lounge which is too small and dingy for a movie.
Key West, Florida
We rented mopeds and cruised the island. We lunched at BO's Fish Wagon (excellent!) and had key lime pie from Kermits. We spent some time at Higgs Beach ($10 for a beach chair and water activities for the day). All in all, less expensive than a boat excursion and we packed more into the VERY short time you are in port.
I love love love Cozumel. Again, we choose to do our own "excursions" as opposed to the boat's. This is a great place to catch some rays, do some shopping and spend the day. I always say Cozumel is a DO NOT MISS port of call.