Carnival Destiny (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Skip the boat....stay at an island!

Sail Date: June 29, 2009

The islands of Grand Turk and of course Half Moon Cay were amazing. The bar staff and most of the deck hands were polite and helpful. We had a few unavoidable issues with our 6th deck balcony cabin (flooding from neighboring cabins, eletrical problems) that were not addressed properly by managment and promies were not followed through on. Met great people at dinner, but other eating arrangments and management disrespect were a turnoff for any possibility of returning. The island of Half Moon and its gorgeous beaches and water were worth the price of admission, but this is basically a racket outside of that. Oh well, I don't regret it, but I would never promote it....

Pros: The islands the personable staff.

Cons: The prices and the lowsy management and disrespect of management.

Recommends Carnival Destiny (RETIRED)? No.

Although the staff tried keep our messes to a minimum, and the original appearance of chipped paint and bad plumbing ruined this part of the experience.
I wish the rating was separate for the staff as opposed to managment. The variety of nationality and culture and overall friendliness was great, but the people in charge gave you the feeling that you were an inconvenience to them instead of an asset.
Funny smells from floor to floor and section to section. Not user friendly re: breakfast/lunch and just relaxing.
expected better, but the service was fun and dinner was passable for decent dining. Kind of.
Lowsy shows, decent but overall cheesey comics. luckily we bring our own enterainment whereever we go or I would have been greatly dissappointed.
Grand Turk Island
Margaritaville is fun, but expensive. Had more fun meeting locals at the Pirates Rum Bar right off of the Margaritaville beach. Better music, more personable and cheaper prices! Got a pitcher of some very good Sangria for $20. Bigger than bars at home! Met good people and got a $10 cab tour of the beat up island city. Better than blowing $$$ on a mediocre snorkel excursion sponsored by 'the fun ship'.
Don't Miss: The Coral Reefs or hanging with locals if you can handle friendly people that speak a mix of Creole, Haitian, English, and Spanish.
Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island)
Must See: The Beach and Swimming. Call me old fashion, but I don't need anything more than a quiet day, clear blue water, white sand, hot weather and staff running all over bring buckets of beer to my beach seat sitting on the edge of the ocean. The grillout food was the best lunch I had sponsored by the 'fun ship'.
Don't Miss: The beach...take it easy.
Straw Market is hot as hell, but the cheapest pricing. The rest is ghetto and boring. Maybe I was too hung over.
Don't Miss: Straw Market if you cant get into Atlantis.