Carnival Destiny (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

"Horrible Cruise"

Sail Date: June 29, 2009

I am a regular cruiser with Carnival's competitor but this was my first Carnival cruise. I was extremely excited, as anyone would be going on vacation after a long year of hard work. We were a party of eight, some of us first time cruisers, and some cruised before. I was very disappointed with the overall experience of Carnival. The staff was not as friendly as other cruises Ive experienced. I felt like they were not happy being there and didnt care that we were there. I was extremely disappointed with the quality and selection of the food. Almost the same things repeated at dinner and the quality of the food was very poor.

The private island we docked at in the Bahamas was the worse. The walk from the pier to the barbecue was a long and difficult walk due to the dense sand. Lets just say it wasnt worth it and we were better off staying on the ship.

At the end of the cruise, I was mostly disappointed when Carnival automatically added a $50.00 per person gratuity onto my bill and then had the nerve to place an envelope in my cabin. I thought gratuity was voluntary not demanded. Frankly with the type of service provided by the bartender at dinner I would not have given him anything because he was the most unfriendly person. I would say because of the experience with Carnival I would not travel with a carnival ship again and neither would I recommend this cruise line to my friends.

Pros: Can't think of anything

Cons: Food

Recommends Carnival Destiny (RETIRED)? No.

Quality and choices of food poor
It was ok.
Unfriendly! Got the feeling they didn't want me there.
Not bad!
Grand Turk Island
This was a waste of time. All the hype to get stuck at a restaurant right at the pier. Of course if you wanted to go explore the island you had to pay for an excursion. Does not compare to Nassau. A waste of time!
Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island)
This was certainly a waste of my time. The walk from the pier to the barbecue area was long and the sand was dense which made the walk seem ever harder in the hot sun. I would have stayed on the ship if i knew it would be such a struggle to get to the ocean. The food at the barbecue was tasteless.
Love it!