Carnival Destiny (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Absolutely awesome!

Sail Date: June 18, 2006

Overall we really liked the ship. It was my third cruise and my husband's second. We really enjoyed the whole experience and I think if they had offered it, he would have booked us on another cruise right then and there. :)

Pros: Very updated, lots of stuff to do, easy to get around, friendliest staff ever.

Cons: Lines at the stores, pools & decks a little crowded on days at sea, and irons are not allowed, they do have one on each floor though.

We definitely recommend the extra upgrade for the balcony. We loved waking up to the sunrise and could have breakfast out on the balcony overlooking the sea. Incredible.
Everyone goes out of their way for you. From the waiter to the room steward, you truly feel like you are being treated with respect and receiving the best service.
There were many options to choose from. It can be any vacation you want it to be. Salsa dancing, kareoke, piano bar, bingo, casino, vegas style shows, comedians, fun by the pool, scavenger hunts, you name it!
We don't have kids, but were surprised that Camp Carnival did a great job of keeping the kids busy and out of the way (I know that sounds horrible, but being on our honeymoon we wanted to be around each other and other adults). There were a ton of activities listed for them and they had them split up into different age groups. They even had a Club 02 which was kids 15-17 that made them feel a bit more grown up.
We gave a 4 on this only due to the buffets. It was adequate, but we would have liked more variety for lunch.
Put a plate outside the door and in 2 minutes it will be cleared away. Talk about being on top of things!
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
St Thomas itself was surprisingly not as developed as I thought. The snorkeling at Coki beach was wonderful though and I would recommend that or the SNUBA here.
Don't Miss: Snorkeling/SNUBA
Oranjestad, Aruba
Although I chickened out of SNUBA at Del Palm Island, it was very pretty (lots of coral though so if you are planning to snorkel or snuba and you are worried about feeling closed in, I would recommend doing it in Barbados or St Thomas instead). Carlos & Charlies in town for the evening was pretty funny too. Dancing on the bars, lots of good music and they even remind you when it is time to go back to the boat (so those who have had a few don't miss it :) ). When we go again we will be renting a vehicle. It would have been much easier and cheaper to get around if we had.
Don't Miss: Carlos & Charlies. Rent a car.
Bridgetown, Barbados
We did the green monkey tour. Our guide (Cassius Clay... no relation ha ha) made the trip worth every penny. He was hysterical and what a life he has lived. As he said many a time, "I'm lovin' it!" We saw breath taking views down the hillside of the ocean and got to see the green monkey's at feeding time.
Don't Miss: Green Monkey tour
Dominica
This is not a place for people to go shopping or to the beach. If you love nature this is the place for you. It is a rainforest and you should take one of those tours. Be prepared to get wet, as it is a rainforest it will definitely rain. We got some beautiful pics of the waterfalls.
Don't Miss: Rainforest & Emerald pool tour