Carnival Conquest Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Carnival Western Caribbean Cruise

Sail Date: December 30, 2007

We had a nice cruise, despite the unfortunate weather (cold front) that rolled in, causing very, very unstable sea conditions. Most other cruise ships bypassed the Grand Cayman port because of the poor conditions, but Carnival went for it. Although I commend our captain for forging ahead, most of the excursions were cancelled due to the bad weather, so that left only shopping and the beach (it was cloudy and 68 degrees), and passengers had to be tendered to another pier, quite a ways away. So, we just stayed on the ship and relaxed, although there was nothing to do on the ship because everything was closed (required when in port). But Jamaica (our first stop) was lovely, and Cozumel (our last stop) was awesome. We have 10 and 12 year old children and there was PLENTY for them to do. I've been on a Carnival cruise before, and hesitated to book again, due solely to my less than favorable experience of long lines everywhere. But, even though the ship accommodated 3,000+ passengers, there were no major lines anywhere. And, there were plenty of deck chaise lounges for everyone. The crew kept everything cleaned and organized, which was a big bonus, in my mind.

Pros: Cruise line did a very good job of crowd control on the ship

Cons: Drinks (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) were VERY expensive!!!

Recommends Carnival Conquest? Yes!

We thought the food was very good -- the restaurant for a sit-down dinner, buffets, and the burger and hot dog stations. (My children did not like the pizza.) We had the last seating, and there was no problem ordering what we wanted. However, drinks were another story. I think the cost for drinks was absolutely a rip off. At the very least, all non-alcoholic drinks should be part of the cruise price. As for the alcholic drinks, the cost of wine (my drink of choice) varied from $6 (house wine) to $10 per glass. It was interesting that when I ordered a glass of "house" wine, they seemed to be out almost every time, and ALWAYS offered a different wine that was about $8 or more!
We booked at the last minute, so we ended up in a stateroom without windows. I don't think I would do that again, but the room itself was totally fine, and accommodated the four of us with no problem.
Everyone was friendly and helpful. Our room steward was exceptional. Our waiter, on the other hand, was okay. I think he just had too many tables to handle.
My 12 year-old really enjoyed the 12-14 Program, and she participated in it quite a bit. There was enough variety, and she could come and go as she pleased. Some of the events were supervised, and some weren't, but we were fine with the program overall. She made some friends as a result, and I think it made the cruise more enjoyable for her.
It was much more beautiful than I remembered it from before.
It was much more beautiful than I remembered it from before.
Montego Bay, Jamaica
We met up with "friends of friends" who actually lived on the island, so we had a different tour/experience than most of the other passengers.
George Town, Grand Cayman
We stayed on the ship due to the poor weather conditions, but I've been to Grand Cayman before, and think it's a very beautiful island. I gave it a "1" happy face rating because that was the only way to post a comment. Otherwise, I would rate it six happy faces.
George Town, Grand Cayman